Opinion on F-212xl

gilded

Reaction score
Have you offered Carter's a cash deal? I would offer them a grand and see if they take it. I don't think I could get a grand for it on a private sale, by the way.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Harry,
Carter Vintage sent me two pics each of the neck/heel joint and the bridge. They did a really nice job, I must say.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for your thoughts. Here's my reaction. I am a 12 string player, and searching for a nice vintage hog to complement the maple F 412. So, that's my thinking on acquiring a F 212xl. Right, now the avg. value of my F 47 is around 1400. The 212xl is going for 1250. I'm more concerned about the fact that it's had a neck reset and bridge re-glue. But, that's not unusual for that model after 41 years, no?

and it is only 150 bucks you would be losing out on, not a big deal to consider in grand scheme of things. especially if the F47 is not exciting anymore to you...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Harry,
Carter Vintage sent me two pics each of the neck/heel joint and the bridge. They did a really nice job, I must say.

OK, NOW y'oughta go see it.
Lotta folks would rather choose their own luthier for that kind of work, and as you mentioned, it's probably well-deserved in a guitar that old, but if you think it looks good, that says a lot right there.
And now it's not on a "to do" list.
Seconding Westerly Wood's observation, at this point it's a matter of how you personally value the 2 guitars.
You've already got good "market price" feedback, now it's time to see if the 12-er really speaks to you.
Good luck!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Adorski and Westerly Wood,
Many thanks for your opinions and encouragement. Carter also sent three pics of the case, a recent TKL in like new condition. I'm taking the plunge. My 1974 f-48, which appears to be the 6 string version of the 212xl is speaking to me loud and clear. It has much more mojo than the F-47MCE.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree with you Rich, that it would make a good pair with your F-48. Well done and enjoy.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Rich! We have all been in that situation where the Want that you have for a Certain Guitar Outweighs the Monetary discrepancy in the situation. I would have the up most confidence in Carter's Repair Staff. While I have not bought from them directly I have a friend locally that does a lot of business with them and he has never been disappointed with their work. If the F47MCE is not bringing you enjoyment at the moment and the F212XL will, then you made the right decision. Can't wait to hear your review when you get it!

TX

Last edited: