Trying Again

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Well,

I am trying again for a brand new Guild. This time the one I originally wanted but I am keeping it secret until I get it and approve of it.
I do not want to jinx things like I did on the CE-100D

I could not get myself to go with Gretsch as they are too rockabilly even with their new centerblock units. I was seriously looking at a Reverend but the price was not right.
I am keeping my fingers crossed I made the right decision and can't wait to get the guitar which I am hoping will ship today from Chicago land!

Mark

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Mark! Hoping everything works out for you this time around.

TX

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes. I am determined to become a member of the Guild NS Family as well as the Vintage Guild Family (soon enough).

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
The new Starfire VI just arrived but I am not opening the case until tomorrow. I know it is not lacquer but I don't want any weird warpage going on due to climate shock.

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
I opened the case this morning and there sits a spanking brand new Starfire VI (blonde). All I can say is (from the 10 minutes I looked at it before I left for work) is the Fit and Finish is superb and I do not see anything wrong with it. I mean I am really blown away on how nice it is put together and finished. One happy camper so far and can't wait to play it tonight.

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
I think I am giving up. I went over this guitar with eagle eyes and it was perfect until I saw what I would call a crappy flaw that there is no way I could keep it with this particular. No, it is not a nick or ding or dust in the clear coat. It is much worse then that (at least to me) and I cannot believe I did not see it when I looked her over Friday morning. I guess excitement can blind you a bit. Back to the drawing board but no more guitars unless I see them first.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think I am giving up. I went over this guitar with eagle eyes and it was perfect until I saw what I would call a crappy flaw that there is no way I could keep it with this particular. No, it is not a nick or ding or dust in the clear coat. It is much worse then that (at least to me) and I cannot believe I did not see it when I looked her over Friday morning. I guess excitement can blind you a bit. Back to the drawing board but no more guitars unless I see them first.

So... what is it?

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
31164693694_ee51ca3250_k.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh that is not good! I am sorry that you had to go through the agony of a flawed new guitar twice, That really sucks. Best of luck to you,

TX

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
This crappy thing about it is the guitar played and sounded so good and nothing else was wrong with it. I like good QC and can deal with some flaws especially in this price range but this flaw was a little too much.

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Because the rest of the guitar was superb, I was really trying to talk myself into keeping her but I could not. I called the dealer and they had one more in stock but when they checked it, the center mahogany strip in the neck was off center which looked whacked. Maybe current production Guilds are not for me. :upset:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Because the rest of the guitar was superb, I was really trying to talk myself into keeping her but I could not. I called the dealer and they had one more in stock but when they checked it, the center mahogany strip in the neck was off center which looked whacked. Maybe current production Guilds are not for me. :upset:

I'm not normally one to say this because I know there are a lot of folks that really like their Newark Street series Korean Guilds but as an owner of quite a few American Made Guild Electrics with also having access to every Korean Guild Electric they have made at my local shop, The american made Guilds from Late Westerly and Corona production (90's-2004) are of a much higher quality in my opinion for the same price or less. You don't ever see one of the Late Westerly or Early Corona guitars with a head stock logo inlaid crooked or a center strip piece of wood off center on the back of the neck. The American made models are so well built that even though they have been played for 12-20 years, most of them still look new. The wood selection is far superior in my opinion than anything Korea has made and the Quality control was top notch, especially from 1995 on when Fender implemented their strict QC process.

I just hope that your experience with these 2 Korean made Guilds won't turn you away from considering a USA Guild in the future. They really are wonderful guitars with an amazing range of tone. I am about as picky as it gets with QA/QC of guitars I buy and play because If I am spending the money I expect it to be right. I have never been disappointed with a purchase of a used American made Guild electric if I have done my homework on them.

Wish you the best of luck in the future my friend!

TX

Neal

Reaction score
I don't blame you, SD. I would send that one back, too. Too far out of alignment, would draw my gaze every time I picked it up.

I have owned two late Westerly Guilds, an X-150 and X-170, and both were superbly built. I would still have them if the necks were a little beefier.