Heck Of A Deal On Ebay

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ebay is offering to a subset of their seller customers, a really sweet offer. Final Value Fees will be capped at $10 on up to five listings provided they are listed by 1/3/17. It can be Auction style or Fixed Price.

I'm going to be putting a few nice pieces out there possibly including a JF 65CE Custom Shop, a DD6-RCE, a D 30 Tennessee Orange, a Martin HD 35 and a Gibson WM 45, that may gross as much as $8500 or in that ball park. Normally that would cost me $850 in final value fees. With this promotion it would come to $50. Not too shabby.

I tend to use Reverb more than Ebay because of the lower fee structure but except for selling on CL or private sales I don't think there's a better deal out there than the special Ebay offer.

I have another pat on the back for the folks at Ebay as well. I bought a fairly pricey acoustic the other day. I received the typical 2% Ebay Bucks credit to be used on future purchases. Just the next day, I got an email that offered an enhanced Ebay Bucks program for 10% up to $100 max. I called them on another subject and happened to mention that. They gave me a Ebay Bucks Credit for the difference. They didn't have to, they just did.

Maybe it's the Christmas spirit getting to them, I don't know. All I know is that I surely appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know many folks can't stand dealing with Ebay and they get me mad at times as well. But sometimes they really surprise me. I seriously think they are feeling the hear from increased Reverb activity at Ebay expense.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Damn - I didn't get that offer and I've got a pile of Guilds to sell!

Good luck with yours!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I sure didn't see that offer either Gary, otherwise I might take them up on it. I refuse to sell anything of value on eBay anymore since they upped their final value fees to 10% (plus another 3% for PayPal). I think that's usury.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The PayPal fees I don't really have much of a problem with. It's a good, safe service that provides both buyer and seller protection. In my mind, it's worth the 3%. Now, the 10% final value fees??? Well that's another animal altogether. 10% is too high, I agree with that for sure.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The PayPal fees I don't really have much of a problem with. It's a good, safe service that provides both buyer and seller protection. In my mind, it's worth the 3%. Now, the 10% final value fees??? Well that's another animal altogether. 10% is too high, I agree with that for sure.

The 3% for PayPal wouldn't bother me so much if eBay didn't own them, too. <grumble>

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The 3% for PayPal wouldn't bother me so much if eBay didn't own them, too. <grumble>

I remember things that did not happen but I thought eBay sold or independently spun off PayPal because the eBay connection was preventing other seller's from adopting PayPal. If I am already competing with eBay then why should I use their payment service?

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I remember things that did not happen but I thought eBay sold or independently spun off PayPal because the eBay connection was preventing other seller's from adopting PayPal. If I am already competing with eBay then why should I use their payment service?

That's up to each individual I guess. I'm just saying I think 3% is pretty fair. I'm not sure there's even any other option when you buy/sell on Ebay. I could be wrong about that but it's the only option I ever see. Reverb's fee is very similar to Paypal when you use their Direct Checkout (credit card) option. Except for a direct sale like on LTG or CL I'm not sure how to get around that fee.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm going to be putting a few nice pieces out there.... Normally that would cost me $850 in final value fees. With this promotion it would come to $50. Not too shabby.

Absolutely - take them up on it. And good luck with your sales!

Jeff_L

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score

And they charge the same 10% on the shipping charges! Ebay has nothing to do with the shipping, so how do they justify charging a percentage of the cost?

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's more the principle of the thing on shipping. A typical shipping charge might be $75 so they nick you for $7.50. Not the end of the world but I agree that's just gouging regardless of the amount.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
That is true. Since 2015, they have been separate companies, although I wouldn't doubt that it essentially doesn't make that big of a difference.

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
And they charge the same 10% on the shipping charges! Ebay has nothing to do with the shipping, so how do they justify charging a percentage of the cost?

I think some of that is due to people lowering their fees by selling items for $.10 and then charging $75.00 for shipping. That was a pretty obvious scam at one time.