First Jazz type guitar

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
I am in the market for my first archtop. I want to use it for jazz, blues and rock-a-billy (vibrato bar)

I have studied the Guild models like mad and decided I am going to try the Guild Starfire CE-100D Capri.

Any suggestions or comments are most welcomed!

Wish me luck!!

Mark

dbirchett

Reaction score
You might look for an X-170. Those are popping up with some frequency and are fantastic guitars. You may even find one with a Bigbsby.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If you're paitent, you can find an American made X-170 for just a little more than a capri. 170's excell at just about any style of music. One of the best bargans in USA made guitars around.
Oh and welcome! whatever your choice, Guild makes great guitars.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
All great choices. Don't rule out a Starfire III, either!

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
All great choices. Don't rule out a Starfire III, either!

I actually was caught between the Capri and the SF III. I went with the Capri as it had a touch nicer amenities and maple body which I wanted over hog.
Plus I got the Capri cheaper then the SF III which icing on top of the cake. If this Capri turns out like hope, it will not be my last Guild!

drlucky

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome! You're on the right track...Guilds are THE bang for the buck bargain in archtop guitars!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I actually was caught between the Capri and the SF III. I went with the Capri as it had a touch nicer amenities and maple body which I wanted over hog.
Plus I got the Capri cheaper then the SF III which icing on top of the cake. If this Capri turns out like hope, it will not be my last Guild!

SFIIIs are all 'hog in the current Newark Street line, but Westerly and Corona SFIIIs came in maple. Worth considering for your next Guild! :encouragement:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG, Sitedrifter!

The CE-100D was my gateway guitar into Guilds, and I love my '68. The vintage American models show up for sale all the time in a wide range of prices. They're almost always overpriced by dealers, and I guarantee that if you're patient, you can find a nice clean example for not much more than a NS Korean Capri. Don't hesitate to make an offer below asking price.

I hope you enjoy your Guild!

dbirchett

Reaction score
OK, here is an X-170 by Neal for $1050 in BEAUTIFUL sunburst. http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?191704-98-X-170-Manhattan

20161211_150058_zpsmkpew0lg.jpg

And here is a highly figured blonde (and who isn't a sucker for highly figured blondes) by Manhattan for $1000.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?191579-1994-Guild-Manhattan-X-170-Blonde-100-Original-with-OHSC-Like-New!

IMG_4229_zpsmjq0xlqa.jpg

As nice as the Newark Street guitars are, they're probably not as nice as these. Add a B6 or a Guildsby if you can find one and you are there. You won't regret it. That's about the same price as I paid for mine 15 years ago.

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Well

The Guitar arrived and the box had a foot hole in it and was beat to hell. While there is no damage to the guitar, the top is warped and sunken specifically around the F-holes. Once side of the F hole is 1/4 higher then the other on the LowE side and the high E side it is not as drastic but still sunken. I think this guitar sat in a dry climate since 2014 since it seems it is a 2014 model when I thought I was getting a 2016.

No problem, company is taking it back as defective. Time to look some more.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bummer! I'd look seriously at one of those X170s unless you need the Bigsby.