Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I miss my Starfire :(

I miss my Starfire :(

I took my bass into the shop to get an alembic style bridge installed just over three weeks ago. Probably won't get it back for at least another week (guy gave a 4-6 week window because he is pretty overloaded with work). I bought a jazz bass to fill in for the time being (I only own my starfire and a broken P bass). I took it back because it just wasn't for me. Figured an Epiphone Viola bass was about as close as I could get to my starfire from the local Guitar Center. It still isn't the same. Its been nice to try out different basses as I really don't have all that much experience with different types. But I just love that warm boomy starfire flatwound neck pickup tone. I just miss my bass. That is all.

Blog Entries
    Your title scared me. I thought you had sold it and were suffering seller's remorse. Think of its return as starting a New Year.

Think about fixing or selling the P bass. If you like the long scale, the Jack Casady Signature has successfully substituted for a Starfire for some folks here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

The P bass needs a new neck pretty bad. It was my first bass. A real POS Squier. I like the tone of that bass well enough, but the neck is too fat. I feel the same about the only Jack Casady I ever played. That neck was huge!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsindead View Post
    The P bass needs a new neck pretty bad. It was my first bass. A real POS Squier. I like the tone of that bass well enough, but the neck is too fat. I feel the same about the only Jack Casady I ever played. That neck was huge!
    The only long scale neck I tolerate well is on my Pilot. If the P bass has sentimental value I withdraw my suggestion. Some people count the days to Christmas. You're counting until he return of your Starfire. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

I was nervous, too! As the previous owner of that bass, I have to say that I would be really bummed if you sold it (or otherwise lost it). it's the most alive feeling Starfire I've ever played, despite the ugly headstock situation.

But, I feel your pain! Alembic had my Starfire for 6 months putting in a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by edwin View Post
    But, I feel your pain! Alembic had my Starfire for 6 months putting in a bridge.
    O_O

My god. I will say that I've realized over this past month how much of the character is built into that body shape. There are certain resonances that are just part of that body. Throwing down a power chord on something else just isn't the same.

Last week I played with one of my favorite bass players, who showed up with an older Framus bass, with the hollow body just like a Starfire. He assumes that the 2 pickup's are Hagestrom, and the bass has got that great hollow body sound. I don't know much on them, except that this bass is high on the "coolness" quotient in my book.

This bass player is a Jack Cassidy fan and also plays an Alembic Spoiler and Fender Jazz bass. But when it comes to hollow body the Framus appears to have the Starfire sound.
    Last edited by idealassets; 12-28-2016 at 10:36 PM.

1978 Tama Drums (mahogany)
    2007 Guild D55
    2010 Guild F512
    2011 Rickenbacker 360/12

LMG III

Figured I should share some pictures. After a long month and a half I got my bass back. I think it looks great with this bridge. It has definitely changed the overall resonance/response of the bass. More so than I expected. I'm still getting used to it and only have so much I can say about how it has changed the bass.

https://imgur.com/a/hZnDA

Nice pictures. It's a tempting modification.

Where did you get the parts and who did you use to do the work? What was the pricing on the parts and the labor?
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '75 Mark 4 P, '00 Black Bird,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp

Quote Originally Posted by gilded View Post
    Nice pictures. It's a tempting modification.

Where did you get the parts and who did you use to do the work? What was the pricing on the parts and the labor?
    The bridge and tailpiece parts used to be on my Starfire. They were made as a one off by Marko Ursin in Finland in 2007 as a proof of concept exercise. I don't remember exactly what I paid for them, but they were cheaper than actual Alembic parts. At that point, various people were making these kinds of setups and Mica asked people to desist in making such clear copies. In the States, I think Michael Dolan and a few others make a similarly constructed bridge.

This one is considerably beefier than actual Alembic parts, which I think contributes positively to the tone, more like Phil's Big Brown, but it's pretty subtle.