I miss my Starfire :(

wisconsindead

Reaction score
I took my bass into the shop to get an alembic style bridge installed just over three weeks ago. Probably won't get it back for at least another week (guy gave a 4-6 week window because he is pretty overloaded with work). I bought a jazz bass to fill in for the time being (I only own my starfire and a broken P bass). I took it back because it just wasn't for me. Figured an Epiphone Viola bass was about as close as I could get to my starfire from the local Guitar Center. It still isn't the same. Its been nice to try out different basses as I really don't have all that much experience with different types. But I just love that warm boomy starfire flatwound neck pickup tone. I just miss my bass. That is all.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Your title scared me. I thought you had sold it and were suffering seller's remorse. Think of its return as starting a New Year.

Think about fixing or selling the P bass. If you like the long scale, the Jack Casady Signature has successfully substituted for a Starfire for some folks here.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
The P bass needs a new neck pretty bad. It was my first bass. A real POS Squier. I like the tone of that bass well enough, but the neck is too fat. I feel the same about the only Jack Casady I ever played. That neck was huge!

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
The P bass needs a new neck pretty bad. It was my first bass. A real POS Squier. I like the tone of that bass well enough, but the neck is too fat. I feel the same about the only Jack Casady I ever played. That neck was huge!

The only long scale neck I tolerate well is on my Pilot. If the P bass has sentimental value I withdraw my suggestion. Some people count the days to Christmas. You're counting until he return of your Starfire. ;-)

edwin

Reaction score
I was nervous, too! As the previous owner of that bass, I have to say that I would be really bummed if you sold it (or otherwise lost it). it's the most alive feeling Starfire I've ever played, despite the ugly headstock situation.

But, I feel your pain! Alembic had my Starfire for 6 months putting in a bridge.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
But, I feel your pain! Alembic had my Starfire for 6 months putting in a bridge.

O_O

My god. I will say that I've realized over this past month how much of the character is built into that body shape. There are certain resonances that are just part of that body. Throwing down a power chord on something else just isn't the same.

idealassets

Reaction score
Last week I played with one of my favorite bass players, who showed up with an older Framus bass, with the hollow body just like a Starfire. He assumes that the 2 pickup's are Hagestrom, and the bass has got that great hollow body sound. I don't know much on them, except that this bass is high on the "coolness" quotient in my book.

This bass player is a Jack Cassidy fan and also plays an Alembic Spoiler and Fender Jazz bass. But when it comes to hollow body the Framus appears to have the Starfire sound.

Last edited:

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Figured I should share some pictures. After a long month and a half I got my bass back. I think it looks great with this bridge. It has definitely changed the overall resonance/response of the bass. More so than I expected. I'm still getting used to it and only have so much I can say about how it has changed the bass.

https://imgur.com/a/hZnDA

gilded

Reaction score
Nice pictures. It's a tempting modification.

Where did you get the parts and who did you use to do the work? What was the pricing on the parts and the labor?

edwin

Reaction score

Where did you get the parts and who did you use to do the work? What was the pricing on the parts and the labor?

The bridge and tailpiece parts used to be on my Starfire. They were made as a one off by Marko Ursin in Finland in 2007 as a proof of concept exercise. I don't remember exactly what I paid for them, but they were cheaper than actual Alembic parts. At that point, various people were making these kinds of setups and Mica asked people to desist in making such clear copies. In the States, I think Michael Dolan and a few others make a similarly constructed bridge.

This one is considerably beefier than actual Alembic parts, which I think contributes positively to the tone, more like Phil's Big Brown, but it's pretty subtle.

wisconsindead

Reaction score

The installation cost $200. He initially said it would be $150-200. Then he said it was tough for him to know because he had never specifically done this job. Then when he called and said it was ready he asked what he quoted as he wanted to honor that, even though it was probably more like a ~$300 job.

Rauen Guitars is the shop that did the work in Riverwest WI

gilded

Reaction score
I remember Marko's name from a long time ago on the, uh,......Dude Pit? I remember those parts now, too!

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember Marko's name from a long time ago on the, uh,......Dude Pit? I remember those parts now, too!

Yep. Deja vu. I don't recall how I stumbled into The Dude Pit but I do remember that it predated LTG for me.

Mr. Betts, builder of my Betts bass, was somewhat obsessed with the bridge spacing so that the strings aligned with the pole pieces. He was able to nail it because he only had one PU to work with. So I see the pic below and wonder. Regardless it is pretty neat to see parts moving around and still in use.

cWoSCDi.jpg

mellowgerman

Reaction score
My DarkStar'd Dearmond Starfire sported two DS-1 pickups with the vintage spacing. The Dearmond had a wider-spaced 90's Fender/Guild harp bridge on it though, so the bridge pickup poles were a bit inside the string spacing. It made no noticeable difference in tone to my ear.
I have however played around with putting a vintage spaced DS-1 in the neck position of a Fender Jazz bass and the fact that the strings were spaced wider than the pickup DID create a bit of an issue in that case. My theory is that the farther you go toward the neck with pickup location, the more noticeable unmatched spacing becomes because of the significant increase of low frequency produced by the string at that point

EDIT: just for fun (and also in the interest and honour of the precedented LTG veer) I figured I'd throw in a photo of the finalized modified state of the bass :) though it may not reveal much about the string spacing discussion

Last edited:

wisconsindead

Reaction score
My DarkStar'd Dearmond Starfire sported two DS-1 pickups with the vintage spacing. The Dearmond had a wider-spaced 90's Fender/Guild harp bridge on it though, so the bridge pickup poles were a bit inside the string spacing. It made no noticeable difference in tone to my ear.
I have however played around with putting a vintage spaced DS-1 in the neck position of a Fender Jazz bass and the fact that the strings were spaced wider than the pickup DID create a bit of an issue in that case. My theory is that the farther you go toward the neck with pickup location, the more noticeable unmatched spacing becomes because of the significant increase of low frequency produced by the string at that point

EDIT: just for fun (and also in the interest and honour of the precedented LTG veer) I figured I'd throw in a photo of the finalized modified state of the bass :) though it may not reveal much about the string spacing discussion

Fun fact: When I almost bought your old Dearmond back in 2014 from spacebassed on TalkBass. It was between that one and my starfire (from Edwin). I wonder if spacebassed still owns it...?

mellowgerman

Reaction score

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Figured I'd share some of the pics the luthier took while doing the work.

tK6zXR5.jpg

fdbehh0.jpg

aDZrz9m.jpg

Nwz9sxV.jpg

Last edited: