F-612 Dreams

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Tx,
Thank you for posting the sound clips.
In your opinion, what stands out as the big difference between your F-512 and your F-612?
Do you think that the F-612 is a better sounding guitar or is it just that it is so rare that we all lust for one, not even knowing how they actually feel and sound.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
awagner, I just noticed your signature - that is a very numerical (and impressive) list of Guild 12-strings!!

walrus

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
awagner, I just noticed your signature - that is a very numerical (and impressive) list of Guild 12-strings!!

walrus

Thanks. I pulled a straight. All I need now is a D90 to complete another one.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tx,
Thank you for posting the sound clips.
In your opinion, what stands out as the big difference between your F-512 and your F-612?
Do you think that the F-612 is a better sounding guitar or is it just that it is so rare that we all lust for one, not even knowing how they actually feel and sound.

No Problem! The F512 is a Cannon of a guitar as it is but it is as sweet sounding as it is loud. I have been told it is like listening to a choir of Angels sing. The best way to describe the F612 sound in person is to imagine having two F512's played in stereo at the same time with one on each side of you. It does have a deeper register due to the extended 26.25" scale length and the bigger deeper body but still retains the sweet tone. I guess you could say it is like listening to multiple Choirs of Angels. As far as which is the better guitar I would put them as equally satisfying to play, Just depends on what mood you are in as to which one you want to play. I don't think one is better than the other as they are both amazing in their own way. That goes for my Orpheum 12 fret 000-12 string as well!

TX

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks. I pulled a straight. All I need now is a D90 to complete another one.
Maybe a D65S? Just to fill in between 60 and 70? LOL!! I've only seen one other than mine. Showed up on eBay 3 years ago. Went for a pretty penny too...... keep looking!!! :encouragement:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
ROFL. Maybe this dude also carved his SS# into the side of his house and car as well.

Kids. Don't know squat.

In the 1970's, before the internet and widespread identity theft, police departments told people to engrave their SSNs on valuable objects and would even loan engraving tools to do so. An anti-theft measure that seemed like a good idea at the time.

I've got several pieces of gear with an SSN that I have not sold because I have not figured out how to remove/protect the SSN without lowering the value of the item.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Kids. Don't know squat.

In the 1970's, before the internet and widespread identity theft, police departments told people to engrave their SSNs on valuable objects and would even loan engraving tools to do so. An anti-theft measure that seemed like a good idea at the time.

I've got several pieces of gear with an SSN that I have not sold because I have not figured out how to remove/protect the SSN without lowering the value of the item.

Wow! Thanks for the knowledge.

But still, LMAO....

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

In addition to the impact on value, I'd worry about the impact on identity theft!

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Kids. Don't know squat.

I was in elementary school in the early eighties probably second or third grade and the teacher sent home a request to our parents to have us bring our Social Security Number to school the next day if they wanted it to be engraved on our bikes by the police department to help identify stolen bikes. That was the first time I found out what a SSN even was. Sure enough we all showed up at school the next day and they had 3 officers there to engrave our SSN's in the Crank Housing of our Bicycles. They did almost every bicycle that was rode to that school for years apparently. Looking back it might not have been the smartest thing weighing the impact from the heinous ring of Bicycle thieves and the damage they caused on society with the damage that Identity theft in the future would cause. LOL!

I guess it was one of those 70's 80's things and you just had to experience it for yourself.:friendly_wink:

TX

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

But still, LMAO....

Yeah, instruments with SSNs show up for sale every couple of years and there are usually similar discussions. I only chime in when someone declares that the person who put the SSN on the guitar is some kind of idiot :)

In addition to the impact on value, I'd worry about the impact on identity theft!

walrus

To be clear, the gear with the SSN is "protected" from casual observation. The issue is removing the number prior to sale by me and the impact of doing that on the sale price. You can't always just paint over engraving...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

But still, LMAO....

What, you didn't get an ssn stamp on your butt?
Me'n' my brother had 'em in case we ever got lost.
Can't tell ya how many times they called my mom back to the mall to get us, after she "forgot" we went there with her..
Finally she figured out she could scrub 'em off with Lava soap, but by then we were old enough to remember our phone number.

Last edited:

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The good news for me is that I have someone else's SS# on my guitar that I can use to identify it if it is stolen, so no risk of identity theft for me. Of course, the Serial # is also engraved on the headstock.

The part that actually annoys me is the fact that he also sharpied the orange guitar case lining with his name and SS #. No way to addres that short of relining the case.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The part that actually annoys me is the fact that he also sharpied the orange guitar case lining with his name and SS #. No way to addres that short of relining the case.

I thought this story could not get any better for me...

Hey bud, congrats on the Guild!

idealassets

Reaction score
Here's the F612 that I used to own (sorry about the messy house), 18" lower bout, F312 on the right with 16" lower bout:

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score
About that F612 with the social security numbers engraved in it, I just watched a video where Ted Nugent recently took a wood burning/ engraving tool and burnt his name and guitar number engraved right into the back of every one of his Gibson Birdland guitars. For example "Ted Nugent #21", etc. Nice!

What folks just won't do to something cool, they just can't be stopped I suppose.

Last edited: