Extra Light acoustic strings

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I knew I caught this irresistible string thread smell all the way from outside the house, came in to check, and sure enough.......

Al, you know I can never get enough of your writing, please elaborate on the arc thing.

Wood: I agree on the JP light.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, you know I can never get enough of your writing, please elaborate on the arc thing.
Well, first ya gotta let it rain for 40 days and nights...
then go out and find yourself a piece of bare wire exactly .011 in diameter and nail each end into 2 fence posts spaced exactly one cubit apart.
Do not apply any tension, just enough to make sure the wire isn't sagging in the middle.
Do the same with a piece of wire that's .013 in diameter.
Stop and have a couple of beers (note they must both be exactly the same).
Now take the empties and tie one to each piece of wire, from the middle.
The .011 wire'll sag more in the middle than the .013 wire.
This is its arc of deflection, or travel, and is proof that the same amount of "striking force" (gravity, expressed as the weight of the beer bottle) input will create a bigger arc of travel in a light string than a medium one.
All of this is irrelevant to the motion a vibrating string makes.
A vibrating string looks like this:
vibstr1.gif

Or, after 2 beers, like this:
strvib.jpg

Point being they don't vibrate in a flat plane, they vibrate in an arc around a center where the string would be, at rest, according to this formula:
vibstr4.gif

All this is merely prelude to the discussion of what kind of wood floats best.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Physics and bluesy's sense of smell aside, I'm back to EJ16's, PB lights.

I am not too old to rock and roll, but I am apparently too old to change string gauges. Back to what I've used for years. The extra lights' "looseness" that I was having fun with started to get to me over time, particularity when strumming fast.

Just like my inability to use an unwound G string on an electric, some things in (my) life cannot be altered...

"Geezer", indeed.

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Unwound Gs on electrics have always felt weird to me. I've been putting up with 'em on two recent guitars, a Music Man St. Vincent and a Reverend Jetstream 390 (both 25.5" scale, which helps a bit), but I think the Reverend will get "upgraded" with its next string change. The St. Vincent has an unusual nut, with some per-string tweaking built in, so its unwound G will stay. As will my use of Ernie Ball Slinky .010s on it. And I've gotta say this guitar is seriously dialed in.

My only electrified acoustics are archtops. 12 gauge flatwounds all the way!

-Dave-