F-50R vs. JF-55

frenchie

Reaction score
As far as I know they are the same. But for a period of time in the late 80's to mid 90's, when Gruhn was connected with Guild, there was a push to simplify the designation of certain models, and as the F50R had the same bling as the D55 it appeared logical to give it a similar designation. Hence the JF55.

Hope this helps

Steve.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just an important footnote on Construction, The F50R's that were made from 2005-2014 at Tacoma Washington (2005-2008) and New Hartford, Connecticut (2009-2014) had scalloped Adirondack Red Spruce Bracing in them. They were also considered to be lighter builds than the earlier models which tends to make a guitar more resonant. Earlier JF55's and F50R's had Sitka Bracing and were a bit heavier in the build. The Adirondack Bracing tends to give the later model F50R's a bit more response and sparkle in my opinion.

The JF55's main difference from the earlier F50R's was the addition of an Abalone Rosette around the soundhole. When JF55 production stopped and F50R production resumed the newer F50R's retained the Abalone rosette through the end of New Hartford Production.

I own a JF100NT-CRV from 1993 which was a fancier version of the JF55 and I also own a F50R from 2013 New Hartford production. Both Guitars sound wonderful but not the same. The Newer F50R has more sparkle to it while the JF100 has more Depth. They are inherintly different in tone form each other. Hope that helps!

TX

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Thanks, TX for the information. One other small point. I understand that the depth of the JF-55 is 5" and the F-50R is 4.8". Is that correct?
Rich

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
These are the measurements of of mine.

1993 JF100NT-CRV - 4.25" deep upper Bout, 5" deep lower bout
2013 New Hartford F50R - 3.75" deep upper bout, 4.5" deep Lower Bout

The new Hartford model F50R is thinner, but the 1/2 inch difference is really hard to tell when playing them one after the other. There is also no discernible difference in The Volume output that is immediately noticeable. I hope this info helps you out!

TX

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
just want to add the first few years of JF-55 do not have the abalone rosette (late 80s/early 90s), and also a JF-55 could also be labeled J-55, JF-65R, and JF-65 (without the R)- these are usually maple but have seen rosewoods without the "R" (have held one in my hands).

edit: almost forgot, add "FJ-55" to that list!

very nice guitars.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Many thanks, TX, for the info. Wow, you've got a great collection!
Rich

Thanks Rich! The New Hartford Made Guilds are some of my Favorites of the group. Don't get me wrong, All of the Guilds I have I love for different reasons and they are all wonderful Instruments, but I feel like they had some real magic going on at New Hartford. My 2013 F50R is my "Jack of All Trades" rosewood guitar as it does all styles extremely well. That is one that will never leave! Best of luck in your search!

TX