I Be Ignorant

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
o.k., so I have this Acer Laptop I've had for a number of years now.. It's fine for what I do, however, it is now running really, really slow. I'll take it in to get it looked at but am likely looking at a new purchase soon.

Here's my question. I keep getting asked if I want to make Google Chrome my default whatever it is (browser or something, I don't know). I think I use Internet Explorer now.

If I go to Chrome does that mess up anything as far as using my computer. Well I still see everything the way I'm used to or will I have to learn it all again. (I am old and the old saying that you can't teach old dogs new tricks is pretty appropriate in my case).

Anyway, I'm likely not explaining this all that well but any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated.

silverfox103

Reaction score
Richard

Reading in between the lines, if it's an Acer, I'm guessing it's very old and very slow. There still made, but you don't see them around very much, at least I don't. Google Chrome is a relatively new product. I'm guessing it will not run on your computer or at best not run correctly. If Internet Explorer is running ok, just go with it. When you get a new computer, then you can choose.

Tom

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If Internet Explorer is running ok, just go with it.
Tom

Here's the rub, I'm running into it at work:
Older versions of Explorer are vulnerable to the latest and greatest malware and security breaches.
The latest versions can't be installed on machines as old as that Acer because they require newer versions of Windows and a whole lot more memory than those machines could ever support.
They can't be upgraded with enough memory, it's jut not possible.
So the latest browsers with the best security require a version of Windows you can't install.
Similar thing going on with Chrome right, they're going to stop supporting Windows XP and Windows Vista.
And I can't install enough memory in my machine to upgrade my versions of Windows and Explorer, I'm being told I'm going have to move to Firefox eventually.
So the machines start running slower and slower because the websites are assuming you're using the latest and greatest browsers, among other things , and expect your machine to be able to handle all the new fancy commands and huge compressed files.
Or the software will run on older versions of Windows but not as well as the stuff that was designed for the version of Windows you have.
For Richard:
At the very least I'd make sure you don't use that machine for online banking or web-based purchasing.
There's stuff out there now that automatically searches for security gaps to capture your card/account info.
The other big one is "ransomware", older versions of Windows and Explorer are especially susceptible.
This stuff takes over your computer and literally takes all your files hostage until you pay a ransom. (and sometimes you tsill don't get your files back)
"Malwarebytes" is pretty good safeguard, we use it and Vipre here at my work.
There's other reasons machines get slower having to do with how full your disk is and how well organized it is, but the security reasons for updating the machine needed to be mentioned.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Google stopped supporting Chrome for Windows XP and Windows Vista (as well as Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion for Apple computers) in April of this year. Chrome will continue to run, but Google stopped providing updates to close vulnerabilities and improve performance about 8 months ago.

Windows XP is an orphan operating system, and has been since Microsoft stopped supporting it with updates in April of 2014. Windows Vista support goes away in April of 2017. Windows 7 will be supported until January 2020.

Chrome is my browser of choice with one big caveat: It does a very poor job of memory and process management. If you open enough Chrome browser windows over the course of a couple of days without closing them all, your computer can get real slow. A simple reboot cures it.

I'm seeing Windows 10 Home laptops with Intel I-3 processors for under $300 these days. So, for the price of this Eastman Travel Guitar you could get a decent laptop for browsing and other light tasks (I wouldn't edit video on it for example).

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Chrome is my browser of choice with one big caveat: It does a very poor job of memory and process management. If you open enough Chrome browser windows over the course of a couple of days without closing them all, your computer can get real slow. A simple reboot cures it.
Yeah, ran into that and my IT guy clued me in.
Also don't like the way it handles screen printing (image size management)
I'm seeing Windows 10 Home laptops with Intel I-3 processors for under $300 these days. So, for the price of this Eastman Travel Guitar you could get a decent laptop for browsing and other light tasks (I wouldn't edit video on it for example).
Yep useful info for Richard I think, for me I probably won't have PC in my home until I retire.
It ain't so much the initial cost of the machine as the monthly overhead from a service provider.
I also still have philosophical antipathy to the "never-ending upgrade" requirement, ever since I sold computers back in the late '80's early '90's.
I resent the assumption that everybody wants to be able to process bigger and bigger files like watching streaming video on their mobile device and doesn't care how much it costs or that they have to buy a new machine every couple of years to be able to do it.
(OK I'm done)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I resent the assumption that everybody wants to be able to process bigger and bigger files like watching streaming video on their mobile device and doesn't care how much it costs or that they have to buy a new machine every couple of years to be able to do it. (OK I'm done)

True, but everyone but us geezers DOES want to stream video on their phones, watch full length movies on their PC's, etc. You should see the kids in my classes (college), that's all they do. The problem is that there is no longer a "usable" machine for the many people left who do not need or want to do all those things.

Remember when hardware determined the software? Now the software and apps drive the hardware. I just got a new phone - PITA to set it up, etc., but I need it for what I do. Still not using 1/3 of what it could do, but it does what I want, and very nicely. My PC at home is only a few years old, and already feeling the strain.

Anyway, Richard, the advice above from the other guys is good. Particularly about security - you are living dangerously with whatever you have on your computer - any personal information, financials, an old tax return, etc. I would suggest something new, with better security, and faster speed, etc. Depending on what you do with it, you might be totally happy with something like a tablet - either a MS Surface or an Apple iPad. The iPad in particular is pretty easy to use.

We could perhaps give you a clearer answer if you tell us what exactly you do with it. Search the web? Download lots of photos? Email? Depending on the usage, there are machines that are better than others.

walrus

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm a pretty basic user. I search daily (several times per day)) my email, Craig's List, Ebay, Reverb and of course LTG. I do some, but not all that many, Google/Bing searches. I do my on-line banking and I run Word for songwriting, memos etc. and that's pretty much it. I do have a printer and although I don't print a lot I print enough I guess. I'm a very low-end user type. I do have the Norton antivirus/protection package. So far, as far as I know, I've never had an issue but probably will at some point.

I bought the Acer in 2004 which I suspect means it's considered prehistoric. The more I think about it, I'm guessing I need to go shopping. I need nothing fancy, just to accomplish what I detailed above. I don't need a lot of xtras and nice to haves. My preference is a laptop. I don't want to use up a lot of space. I know nothing about tablets, how they work etc.

I'd appreciate any suggestions any of you may have as to what I should get. I'd like something of good quality but at an affordable price. I'm in the middle of nowhere here. I can get to a WalMart, K mart, Meijers etc. No other big box stores around. Do I order through the mail or use one of those stores do you think??? I'm told there is a good computer tech/repairman in the largest town near here, about 100 miles round trip. I'd likely take it to him and have him set everything up and get it working.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
You could contact the computer tech and see what he might recommend that would fit your needs...you also need to mention that you like to listen to music so you need a decent sound card in it...I'm using an old HP laptop from 2009 or so running the first version of i5...it was still able to upgrade to the second version of Windows 10...for some reason the following/latest anniversary update fails to install properly but good old Microsoft just reinstalls the other version...you can get a laptop with plenty of memory and hard drive space with a lot of bells and whistles running the latest version of i5 or even i7 for under $500...talk to the tech...when you decide what you want you may be able to have it sent directly to him to set up so you only have to make the one trip to pick it up...good luck...yes, your old machine is prehistoric.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a pretty basic user. I search daily (several times per day)) my email, Craig's List, Ebay, Reverb and of course LTG. I do some, but not all that many, Google/Bing searches. I do my on-line banking and I run Word for songwriting, memos etc. and that's pretty much it. I do have a printer and although I don't print a lot I print enough I guess. I'm a very low-end user type. I do have the Norton antivirus/protection package. So far, as far as I know, I've never had an issue but probably will at some point.

I bought the Acer in 2004 which I suspect means it's considered prehistoric. The more I think about it, I'm guessing I need to go shopping. I need nothing fancy, just to accomplish what I detailed above. I don't need a lot of xtras and nice to haves. My preference is a laptop. I don't want to use up a lot of space. I know nothing about tablets, how they work etc.

I'd appreciate any suggestions any of you may have as to what I should get. I'd like something of good quality but at an affordable price. I'm in the middle of nowhere here. I can get to a WalMart, K mart, Meijers etc. No other big box stores around. Do I order through the mail or use one of those stores do you think??? I'm told there is a good computer tech/repairman in the largest town near here, about 100 miles round trip. I'd likely take it to him and have him set everything up and get it working.

This Walmart laptop is an example of what I'm talking about - $299 for a basic laptop with a real Intel I3 processor, and enough processing power, RAM, and hard disk to do stuff.

I also buy a lot of desktop/laptops for the office from the Dell Outlet. When they run their coupons they can get really cheap and most of the stuff carries the same warranty as new systems. You have to keep checking back - inventory and deals change frequently.

I use a Microsoft Surface Pro and have bought 4 for the office - beautiful machines but expensive. Very expensive.

My take on iPads is they are great devices for consuming media - looking at websites and running searches, watching video, listening to music. Creating content - writing documents in Word, running your home accounting program, etc. - not so much. No, I'm not a anti-Apple bigot (my wife is now on her second iPad, iPhone, and iMac), but simply believe in the best tool for the job. Sometimes that's an iPad, sometimes its a Surface Pro, and sometimes its a hammer.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
For everything but using Word.... you could almost get by with a Chrome Book. they don't run any version of Windows. Nothing is really saved on them, so it's much less virus prone. If you need to get it back to square one , just like it came out of the box, it's quick and easy.

I do have one suggestion, if your budget can swing it. Don't get the dirt cheapest computer you find. It will only leave you in this exact SAME situation all that much sooner down the road. For instance, if you see a computer being sold, with Windows 8. It's already showing it's age. You might find them being dumped pretty cheaply, but the average specs of a Win 8 computer are notably less than one new enough to have Windows 10.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I would agree with not going too cheap - a mid-range price would suit you well, and then give you less trouble later. Sounds like you want a machine that handles Windows and Office, so perhaps an Apple is out. They are also more expensive. Any new computer will come with decent security, and you can always upgrade it, which I would think you definitely want if you have financial stuff on there.

The recommendation above to talk to the tech first, before you buy, is good advice. This way you will get what you want and if they do in fact set it up for you, they will know more about your needs. Maybe they could even recommend a particular PC model.

Also, and this is perhaps key, the tech would be able to transfer your data from your old computer to your new one (for a price), but in general that is well worth it. Do you have an external backup drive? They could just load everything onto the new one for you. Like many people, when I have to get a new computer (I've done it maybe 5 times from the 80's on), I want it to look like my old one as much as possible, and I want to have all my music, files, etc. ready to go. And even then, it is a PITA, so be prepared for some hassle to work it all out.

walrus

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
May I note that the responses have gotten somewhat confusing because they treat the web browser Google Chrome as if it is the same thing as Google's operating system Chrome OS and don't really make it clear that a "Chromebook" is a computer that is running running Chrome OS (and not Windows or some flavor of Linux). The standard web browser in Chrome OS is Chrome. No wonder technical writing is a skill above and beyond basic writing skills.

That said, I have found no reason to make Chrome my default browser on my Windows machine. The feature set is not different enough from Firefox (and IE) for me to add it or make the change and Google really likes you to log in when using their software, tools and sites and then correlates all the information to build its picture of who you are and what you like/do.

Whether a Chromebook is an acceptable upgrade from a 12 year old computer is a different discussion :)

Max5

Reaction score
Look on HSN (home shopping network) on the web. They often run sales on new computers from expensive to middle of the road. I wouldn't hire a tech to install it, they are easy to setup using the quick start guides that come with it.

Or just call up Dell computer direct on the phone - they can build what you say you need & help you from there.

When I got my laptop back in '11 (windows 7 home) I just went to Staples - got a Toshiba.
Still works good.

Last edited: