Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Filthy 1973 Guild D25

  1. #11
    nice looks like the one from NYC/Albany/Vermont Craigslist. Congrats and enjoy! glad you rescued this one. This model is one of the finest Guilds ever made (I have 2 of them currently as well).

  2. #12
    There's something so cool about a guitar that's led a very hard life, but can still bring an immediate smile.

    Congrats, enjoy, and thanks for saving another sweet Guild!
    Current: '73 F-30R / '74 F-40nt / '76 G-37bld / '92 D-6nt-hg / '94 JF-30nt / '14 Savoy A-150b
    Plus: Many Gibsons (acoustics & electrics), and a couple of Martins

    Past: F-20, F-30, F-40, D-40 in the '70s

  3. #13
    Senior Member killdeer43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington on the Salish Sea
    Posts
    21,053
    WELCOME TO LTG!
    We love older D25s around here so I'd say keep at it. Regardless of everything else, that top looks great. If it sounds good and feels good, those things matter as much as anything.

    Cheers,
    Joe
    "Just give me one extra season, so I can figure out the other four."

    Westerly:
    '75 D35
    '76 F112-6
    '94 D4-12

    Other:
    Seagull S6

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Jensen Beach, FL
    Posts
    15
    Thank you all for the welcomes and information sent my way. I've been unable to respond as I'm new here...

    So I went ahead and used naphtha lighter fluid as suggested and well... I'm not sure how much to use but it isn't working. I tried it on a rag and rubbed it into the guitar and it diapered? So I instead doused a paper towel and tried that, same thing, it practically disappeared the second it touched the guitar. I tried in just one spot to see what would happen and I would swear it's removed the gloss and not the gunk? Such as the nice shine the guitar has, has now diapered where I've wiped in the naphtha.

    See bottom left of this image -



    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Cozad View Post
    You may be dealing with a finish that has been subjected to some sufficient combination sweat, body chemistry, cleaners, oils and acids and ... to turn an otherwise impervious, impenetrable substance into a sticky, slimy mess. I had just such an instrument and I eventually refinished it, as no amount of cleaning could remove the goo.
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Ok, yeah, I'd definitely naptha that stuff off..if it hasn't dissolved and blended into the NCL already, it will sooner or later, looks like 40 years worth of pure toe (thumb?) jam...
    Perhaps you are both right, no matter what I do this guitar isn't going to come clean? I could keep at it but I don't want to damage it... that lighter fluid is going somewhere...

    Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    A flatback D25, very nice!
    Yeah I've noticed newer models, perhaps 1975 and newer have a rounded back; are they not as good? I believe mine is all solid mahogany wood correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by mavuser View Post
    nice looks like the one from NYC/Albany/Vermont Craigslist. Congrats and enjoy! glad you rescued this one. This model is one of the finest Guilds ever made (I have 2 of them currently as well).
    Well I bought it on Reverb by way of Troy NY, I'm down in south Florida. Do you remember how much is was listed for?
    Last edited by Graphicism; 12-19-2016 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo

  5. #15
    My instincts tell me that the guitar is coated on silicone. That is why the shine is still on the part hat hasn't had naptha applied to it. The difficulty in removeing it also points to silicone.

    The part of the left is probably the real shine of the nitro finish, with the silicone finally removed.

    Graphicism, does the shiny part feel slippery or maybe even a little bit oily? If so, the guitar is coated in silicone from previous owners using guitar polish on it. You are doing the right thing for the guitar by removing it. If you really want to be sure, see a good local luthier (guitar repair man) and ask him to let you know.
    Last edited by kostask; 12-20-2016 at 03:44 AM.
    _____________________________________
    1983 F-50R
    1971/72 F-212XL
    1993 DV-52
    1996 DV-6
    2005 GAD 30R

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post
    Thank you all for welcomes and information sent my way. I've been unable to respond as I'm new here but I will now...

    So I went ahead and used naphtha lighter fluid as suggested and well... I'm not sure how much to use but it isn't working. I tried it on a rag and rubbed it into the guitar and it diapered? So I instead doused a paper towel and tried that, same thing, it practically disappeared the second it touched the guitar. I tried in just one spot to see what would happen and I would swear it's removed the gloss and not the gunk? Such as the nice shine the guitar has, has now diapered where I've wiped in the naphtha.

    See bottom left of this image -





    Yeah I've noticed newer models, perhaps 1975 and newer have a rounded back; are they not as good? I believe mine is all solid mahogany wood correct?
    Yes, all solid woods and all hog. Congrats!

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

    Well I bought it on Reverb by way of Troy NY, I'm down in south Florida. Do you remember how much is was listed for?


    $350

    https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/msg/5860877622.html

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Jensen Beach, FL
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by kostask View Post
    My instincts tell me that the guitar is coated on silicone. That is why the shine is still on the part hat hasn't had naptha applied to it. The difficulty in removeing it also points to silicone.

    The part of the left is probably the real shine of the nitro finish, with the silicone finally removed.

    Graphicism, does the shiny part feel slippery or maybe even a little bit oily? If so, the guitar is coated in silicone from previous owners using guitar polish on it. You are doing the right thing for the guitar by removing it. If you really want to be sure, see a good local luthier (guitar repair man) and ask him ot let you know.
    I think I initially overreacted ... and the more I wipe it I can see that I am moving the waxy substance around. I have more luck with a harsh dish cloth to lightly scrape the surface in combination with the lighter fluid.

    It doesn't feel oily or slippery but after I've been playing it a while it lightly sticks to my clothes... the fabrics of my clothes then leaves an imprint on the guitar. Bizarre I know but I'll keep at it a little everyday and report back if I ever get it cleaned up.


    Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    Yes, all solid woods and all hog. Congrats!
    Hey that's the very one! Well bad shape or not it was a steal... I just have to put my OCD to the back of my mind when I look at it.

  9. #19
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    19,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post
    I think I initially overreacted ... and the more I wipe it I can see that I am moving the waxy substance around. I have more luck with a harsh dish cloth to lightly scrape the surface in combination with the lighter fluid.
    It doesn't feel oily or slippery but after I've been playing it a while it lightly sticks to my clothes... the fabrics of my clothes then leaves an imprint on the guitar. Bizarre I know but I'll keep at it a little everyday and report back if I ever get it cleaned up.
    Sounds like it might actually be be wax, carnauba?
    Has been recommended as a way to protect the underlying NCL and buffs up well too, but maybe used way too much (and/or often) in this case?
    Might even be the old "waxy buildup" frequently ascribed to some furniture polishes?
    If softened by naphtha, might explain why it's taking imprint of clothes fabric?
    Not sure how naphtha treats wax, I'd think it will cut it down but take a lot of work exactly as you're describing.
    There's also the possibility that the NCL itself is breaking down and either IS, or is contributing to the problem, as Christopher described.
    When NCL breaks down though, it's more "gummy/sticky" than "waxy."


    Re your question on whether the flatbacks are more desirable than the archbacks, it's purely a matter of sonic taste.
    The archbacks are pretty legendary and more of them were made (ie, sold) than the flatback versions, by far.
    The change occurred gradually starting in probably late '72 and was pretty much complete by '74.
    There was even a period when the archbacks still had 'hog tops, with the majority of those reported here being from '73.
    Last edited by adorshki; 12-20-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: sp check (fix quote)
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  10. #20
    Al is probably right about the carnauba.

    I don't know how to remove it, off the top of my head. On cars, you could use a chemical cleaner or machine polish, but that is not something to do on a guitar. Sticky after warm does sound like a wax type substance, though. Perhaps, just keep going with agressive cloth and naptha, and lots and lots of elbow grease.The carnauba may be really old, or it may have combined with hand/finger oilss as well. NCL degrading won't react with the symptoms Graphicism described.
    _____________________________________
    1983 F-50R
    1971/72 F-212XL
    1993 DV-52
    1996 DV-6
    2005 GAD 30R

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •