F-50R vs. D-55

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
My apologies if this subject has been already discussed in detail.
I'd like to know your opinion of the overall sound between the F-50R and the D-55. Highs, mids and lows, projection, ease of playing, etc.
Many thanks,
Rich Cohen

F-48, F47 (NH), DV-52, F-412 (NH)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting comparison, Rich.

The D-55s I've played over the years are remarkably well-balanced instruments. Not too boomy. Very even volume across the strings. My inclination is to compare it to other dreadnoughts, such as the D-50 -- which is a boomy monster by comparison (and I LOVE it). :)

The F50R is probably my favorite 6-string, so I can't think of anything to say to sway you otherwise. I used to be a "dread" man back in the day, but I learned about other guitar shapes as I studied Taylors when I came back to guitars in the late'90s and early 00's. Anyway, the Guild jumbo body shape is just a honey. And, playability is just awesome if you've got the guitar set up right. Same holds for the F-50R's brother, the F-512, which is my all-time favorite 12-string.

justforfun

Reaction score
I have both. They are both 2009 New Hartford guitars. The D55 is a very early build (1/06/09).

I find the D55 to have greater note clarity, more headroom and is louder than the F50R (the D55 has JP Bluegrass strings at the moment and the F50R is usually strung the JP PB lights). The F50R is warmer. I love them both.

I also have a GV52. All three are Sitka over Rosewood and each sound very different from one another. I also have a couple of maples, a sitka hog and an all hog. Each sounds beautiful in its own way.

You really can't go wrong with either. So...........get them both!

Neal

Reaction score
I have owned both, but of different vintages ('76 F-50R and '08 D-55 prototype), both of which now reside with LTG members.

I was struck more by their similarities than their differences. Both loud (the D-55 probably a little more so). Both deep (the F-50R with probably a bit more pronounced bottom end). And both exceedingly well-made.

Either or both would still be at my house if the nuts on them were 1 3/4".

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I also have owned both guitars. I sold the F-50R and replaced it with the D-55.
Foe me it was a much better fit. I also sold my JF-30-12 for one of the same reasons that I sold the F-50R.
The Jumbo body was not comfortable for me to play for any extended period of time.
I also found the F-50R to be a quieter guitar than I had hoped it would be. I play with bluegrass buddies with mandolins and banjos.
I needed more volume to keep up with them. The D-55 did the trick. A D-50 BS would have been even louder but I love the looks of the D-55 and it does just fine.

Reaction score
I have owned both, but of different vintages ('76 F-50R and '08 D-55 prototype), both of which now reside with LTG members.

Either or both would still be at my house if the nuts on them were 1 3/4".

Yes. The nut size is a drawback for finger pickers. But I just can't find anything that sounds better to my ears than my F-50R.