2xNGD: X500T & X170

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Both guitars are as advertised and just breathtaking in person.

I am quite bummed, however, to discover that both the 1994 X170 and the 2001 X500T have 1 5/8" necks at the nut. I was really hoping that they'd both be 1 11/16"

Also, I was surprised to see that this 2001 X500T does not have a sound block under the bridge!

My pics:

5D3_8575_1600.jpg

5D3_8558_1600.jpg

Here are pics from the original threads.

epzwe8ki71spczd6j1tk.jpg

syeevxubff6zwv3lt0cm.jpg

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats GAD, They are both Gorgeous! Sorry to hear about the 1 5/8" neck width. It is Amazing what the difference a 1/16th of an inch makes. I have one guitar with the 1 5/8" neck width and it is a American Vintage Reissue 59 Strat with the slab rosewood fretboard. Only reason I can play it is the neck is really deep and the 25.5" scale makes that extra 1/16th" disappear more so than on your 24.75" scale. Can't wait to here your opinions on the two Guilds when you get some more time! Does the Burst finish on the X500T resemble the photo or is it more defined in person?

TX

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
I always wondered whether white P-90 covers would make those X500Ts and 550Ps (and Starfire IIIs) look more Guild and less Gibson.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I always wondered whether white P-90 covers would make those X500Ts and 550Ps (and Starfire IIIs) look more Guild and less Gibson.

I need to take it apart to do my in-depth analysis. I think I have some white or creme covers in my parts drawer. I'll take a look and see what I can put together.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
First observation aside from the 1 5/8" fretboard on the X500T is that the pick guard has to go. It's in the way for me all the time. I have to say that as an initial impression I like playing my SFIII-P90 much better because of the neck.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
After cutting my fingernails and changing the strings, both guitar necks are a bit more palatable.

I have to say that I really, really like the X-170. I would be head over heals if it had the neck I expected. I'm still kind of on the fence about the X500T. I think I had built it up to be this ultimate thing and thanks to the small neck it's just shrouded in disappointment for me. I need to let that go and give it a fair shake.

I put round-wound strings on both because I really don't like flat-wounds and discovered something quite remarkable. The X-170 with its HB1s is a REALLY bright guitar! I mean, almost piercing on my Champ amp and that's with a rosewood bridge. Now, I like bright guitars, but this is the first guitar that I've ever dialed down the tone knob and been happy with the tone, and even that's something remarkable. It's brighter than the X500T with its brass bridge and P90 pickups, though I suppose it's not fair to compare them since the X500T is so much deeper and has no tone block. I need to measure these HB1s.

I have some pretty guitars, but man this X-170 is a beaut! Pics soon.

kakerlak

Reaction score
After cutting my fingernails and changing the strings, both guitar necks are a bit more palatable.

I have to say that I really, really like the X-170. I would be head over heals if it had the neck I expected. I'm still kind of on the fence about the X500T. I think I had built it up to be this ultimate thing and thanks to the small neck it's just shrouded in disappointment for me. I need to let that go and give it a fair shake.

I put round-wound strings on both because I really don't like flat-wounds and discovered something quite remarkable. The X-170 with its HB1s is a REALLY bright guitar! I mean, almost piercing on my Champ amp and that's with a rosewood bridge. Now, I like bright guitars, but this is the first guitar that I've ever dialed down the tone knob and been happy with the tone, and even that's something remarkable. It's brighter than the X500T with its brass bridge and P90 pickups, though I suppose it's not fair to compare them since the X500T is so much deeper and has no tone block. I need to measure these HB1s.

I have some pretty guitars, but man this X-170 is a beaut! Pics soon.

I'd swap you my SF-VI for the 500T if you ever want a change of flavor, lol. My '94 X-700 is really bright on the bridge pickup, but also pretty deep and musical on the neck pickup. Middle position is a badass honky tone, great for single-string rhythm stuff. Really, all the HB-1s I've played have been pretty bright, but I'm sure you've played plenty of them too, which makes it intriguing the 170 has a little "extra." I'm a treble-head, anyway...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd swap you my SF-VI for the 500T if you ever want a change of flavor, lol. My '94 X-700 is really bright on the bridge pickup, but also pretty deep and musical on the neck pickup. Middle position is a badass honky tone, great for single-string rhythm stuff. Really, all the HB-1s I've played have been pretty bright, but I'm sure you've played plenty of them too, which makes it intriguing the 170 has a little "extra." I'm a treble-head, anyway...

Heh - I think my 2002 SF III-90 is the winner of all the Guildsby guitars I've owned.

The neck pickup on the X170 is just divine.

Check out this bit of weirdness on the X500T. Look at those routes. If I didn't know better I'd say that this guitar was built with humbucker routes and someone expanded them to fit the P90s. The label inside says X500T and I've only ever seen X500Ts with P90s, but that doesn't mean anything 'cause I've been wrong about that sort of stuff before. The route edges are really rough and not like any of the other Guilds of this caliber that I have owned.

2002-Guild-X500T-PickupRoutes.jpg

Here is the pickup and route from my 2002 SF-III-P90 which is more along the lines of what I'd expect to see:

2002-Starfire-III-P90-Neck-Bottom.jpg

kakerlak

Reaction score
^That is truly odd. I suppose those keyholed corners would tend to discourage stress cracks, though I'm not sure that's really an issue. Can't really think of a good reason for them to be shaped that way. Oh well, "as long as it's hidden under the cover." Speaking of which, are those hidden if you ditch the spacers?

kakerlak

Reaction score
Man, quit teasing me with that or I'll go take outdoor shots of my X-700 and taunt you with them, lol.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Man, quit teasing me with that or I'll go take outdoor shots of my X-700 and taunt you with them, lol.

The only thing you'll tempt me with is the temperature. If I were to take an outdoor shot today even a poly-coated guitar would shatter like a rose petal in liquid nitrogen.

OK it's not that cold, but dammit it's cold.

kakerlak

Reaction score
The only thing you'll tempt me with is the temperature. If I were to take an outdoor shot today even a poly-coated guitar would shatter like a rose petal in liquid nitrogen.

OK it's not that cold, but dammit it's cold.

Ha, I'm all talk. Supposed to snow tomorrow and not break out of the teens til Monday, although it's 58 right now, weirdly.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
X-170 without the guard.

5D3_8508_1600.jpg

Last edited: