Interested in this '60s metal covered p/u in an X-50

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hey all. Was checking out X-50s, expected to see many with Franz p/us. And did. Saw this clip too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Rm3fJNlWg

Here it's a 60s model, called the Cordoba x-50 I'm quessing. Hadn't heard this p/u before. It does sound good. According to Han's book, this particular p/u also appeared on early S-100 polaris solid bodies.

To those more experienced: Is this p/u single coil or HB? In terms of single neck p/u archtops, has anyone compared how this metal covered p/u sounds with Franz or P90 equipped examples (Gibson ES-125 et al.) The clip sounds really good, would like to know if it gets warm drive going with a little more volume. Thanks much!

MD

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Mav:

That is a helpful link. Had searched, but not found it. And yes, the sound in that video has me thinking. I'm kind of in Gibson ES-125 (older, no cutaway, full body) search mode, realized today the X-50 is equivalent. And this one with the non-Franz p/u has a different kind of tone. Would love to hear it. Thanks!

MD

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the one in the video sounds great with the Fender amp tone. if you search youtube for the 60s Polara (S-100) or Jetstar (S-50) there are some videos with overdrive, distortion etc. they are solidbodies but might be worth checking out.

Neal

Reaction score
I just picked up a beat-up '64 T-50 (the thin-line version of the X-50) that has this pickup. Expecting delivery Saturday. Man, I hope it sounds like the one in the video above!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had a '65 X-50, great sound! Mine had the MM pickup.

FWIW, these also sound very nice unplugged...

walrus

Reaction score
I just picked up a beat-up '64 T-50 (the thin-line version of the X-50) that has this pickup. Expecting delivery Saturday. Man, I hope it sounds like the one in the video above!

Hi Neal, I hope you were happy with your T-50. I bought a '64 T-50 with the same pickup about the same time as you wrote that post. I love mine - and the best feature (for me) is the sweet acoustic clarity of that pickup, as we could hear in the video.
I mainly gig as a bass player, but also play blues/jazz on acoustic at times. I've decided that for an amplified sound I prefer the sound of the T-50 pickup (though an old Ampeg Jet) to a piezo-ed acoustic, so my old Bruno stays in the living room and the Guild gets to party.

I've been around Guilds for a while but haven't seen this pickup before. Does anyone know where the 'Mickey Mouse' name came from?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
That's a great sound for sure, and it's why a '60s T-50 is on my Guild "must have" list. Just waiting for one to show up locally…

-Dave-

geoguy

Reaction score
Really nice tone, & an arrangement inspired by Duke Levine's interpretation of that song, to boot.

matsickma

Reaction score
Love the Guild "soap bar" pickup. My T50 has one. I was weened on this pickup in the 60's with my S50. I also love the sound of it on both an alder and mahagony S100 Polara and a 'hog M65.

Occasionally a T100 comes up with these pickups.
They are not as bright as a Mickey Mouse pickup. Think of them like a smaller P90. The early "soap bar" model had plastic top covers then they changed to a full chrome brass cover and sides.

M

parker_knoll

Reaction score
This thread just prompted me to buy one of these from one of the evil strippers on ebay