NGD! f-30

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
After briefly owning a NH Traditional F-30, and finding the long scale just a little too uncomfortable for my hands, I've been on the lookout for a good 60's F-30 that works with my current budget. The only other option was the rare M-30 Del Rio (which went beyond my price range in the last auction), or the brief foray into short scale that happened during the last Westerly years. As luck would have it, a '99 showed up on Reverb that looked in fairly good nick, and, after a little haggling, was making its way to me.
It had had a refret, and just has a few bumps and the ubiquitous high gloss finish checks on the top (not too many). (Why always just on the top, why never on the back or sides?!?) I tweaked the truss rod a little, dialing in a decent action, although I may take the bass side of the saddle down a smidge, it has room without hurting the break angle. Plays great and, more importantly, fits my hands a lot better. The nut width is 1-11/16" instead of the Hoboken 1-5/8" that I usually prefer, but that may be a good thing for finger pickin'!
Of course I took a couple of pics, what am I, new here?!?
IMG_2025_zpsfmdtl7ef.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Having trouble putting the second pic in the same post on the iPad, so here's no. 2. I think Xiao Hu is more interested in the birds.

IMG_2028_zpsdvvvqdzv.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice, Chris! You had no problem with shipping in the cold?
Unless the lacquer cracking was caused by me, then no.
It was around 40° when it was delivered; and only spent a few minutes outside. I brought it in and let it sit boxed for 3 hours; at which time the shipping carton felt nice and room temperature. I got the case out (with copious thick foam boards all around it) (the case didn't feel cold) and let it sit for another 2 hours. Then I opened the case. The finish cracks were already there and didn't grow or multiply.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of my favorite little details is the TRC, which is the typical Westerly headstock shape, but it has the Hoboken shield engraved in it!

My least favorite detail, which happened after it left the factory, is the position of the heel strap pin.

I don't know if the Guild branded tuners are Gotoh, Grover, or something else, but they are rock solid; I haven't had to retune since the first tuning.

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Very nice - F-30s are so comfortable!

A thought on that heel pin: Sans felt, maybe a black chrome one would be less obtrusive with the dark back.

Congrats & enjoy!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Good Looking F30 Chris, May you enjoy it for years to come!

TX

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
When was your '99 F-30 built? Mine has a Jan. 16 date stamp.

Because of battery holder mounted on the neck block and date stamp is very light, I'm not able to get a good read on it, but it begins with DEC and I can't really make out the day. Here's the weird part though, the year appears to end in '88, but I would think it must be '98?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Because of battery holder mounted on the neck block and date stamp is very light, I'm not able to get a good read on it, but it begins with DEC and I can't really make out the day. Here's the weird part though, the year appears to end in '88, but I would think it must be '98?
If the serial number is for '99, then it would have to. Have you checked with The Great Guild Wiazrd?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats, Chris. I like a short scale guitar as well. One of the reasons my Taylor gets so much playing time. That and the size. Sounds like you got a good one.

My GUESS about the finish checking on the tops only, is because it's the FAST temperature change that does it. And I'm thinking it happens immediately when the case lid is opened. The sides and back get a little reprieve from the harsh temp change? Maybe? I'm just guessing but that might have something to do with it. I'm sure yours came that way with your acclimation process.;

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I suspect the top gets more temp changes due to it being right on the line with the opening of the case. That's where the air gets in, and so is the source of temp changes getting in the case. Unless it is laying in the snow or something. If there was a case with some rubber gasket all the way around, it might prove that theory. I think the top is also DESIGNED to move so it will with temp changes, where as the sides really don't move and the back is well braced AND is in the bottom of the case.

Or Tom has it right.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think the top is also DESIGNED to move so it will with temp changes, where as the sides really don't move and the back is well braced AND is in the bottom of the case.
BAcks and sides can crack too, we just don't see it as often.
It's been blamed on the different rates of expansion between the lacquer and the wood but bottom line is that the finish itself is basically like a form of glass, and if you take a glass out of the freezer and plunge it hot water, or vice versa, it's gonna crack, period.
That's the mechanism of the "cold open in a warm room", the shock of the temperature differential cracks it before the wood even starts expanding.
But it can happen more slowly as well.

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had no idea that there were Westerly F-30's that were short scale.

Wonderful!
It was only the brief period when they were reissued from 1998-2001. I don't know what the Corona ones were; by the time they were in Tacoma, I think they were back to long scale. Volume 2 material, I'm sure.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like a sweet guitar from here, Chris, even though the first pic is missing the cat. :rugby:

Congrats and then some. :encouragement:

Joe
I did have one with her, but thought was a little better in focus. (Working without a stand.)