Opinion of Tacoma Built Guilds

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well chazmo says
"The only bugaboo is you have to watch out for the guitars (mostly Contemporary Series) that got dumped into the reclamation market at the end of 2008 when Tacoma was getting shuttered. Some of those guitars should have been bandsawed, but weren't."
He is entitled to his opinion.
I have owned Guild guitars since 1966 and from every factory. My two favorites are both from that contemporary series, a CO-1c and a CO-2c. Both went the the FERC process (whatever) and had easily repairable issues when I got them. There are QUALITY instruments and well worth fixing.
That's my opinion.
If any of y'all have one gathering dust and wish to sell it reasonably, send me a message.

MIRC.

In case it is not clear there were several batches of instruments that went through the reclamation process to be liquidated. Some of them had absolutely nothing wrong with them and were liquidated just so that FMIV had no warranty obligations. But others needed some work and there is a judgment call as to whether they got it. As someone who often gets into trouble making sweeping generalizations that are not entirely correct I see two different generalizations being applied to two different situations as if they were the same situation :)

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
How was the pickguard and bridge different from the Tacoma era?
I also owned a 2005 Tacoma built D-55.
The finish on it never seemed to harden up.
I regretfully put a John Pearse Arm Guard on it and several months later decided to remove it.
The finish was blistered where the rest was placed.

I bought the guitar slightly used in 2008 and the finish was still not hard.
I could feel the neck getting sticky when I played it.

It did seem to get better after a few more years.

richt54

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
tacomas are the worst especially post 2006
Sorry you had a bad experience. My 2008 Tacoma D-50 BGS puts out all sorts of beautiful sounds with it’s stunning adi top and adi bracing with bone nut saddle and bridge pins. A quality instrument through and through.

Landseagoods

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry you had a bad experience. My 2008 Tacoma D-50 BGS puts out all sorts of beautiful sounds with it’s stunning adi top and adi bracing with bone nut saddle and bridge pins. A quality instrument through and through.
I’m sure yours is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator: