Newark series S-50 Jetstar

xilef regnu

Reaction score
I like 'em except for the Gibson bridge and tailpiece on the humbucker variants. The sea-foam is a little radioactive for my tastes. Price is nice!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the green one is cool- it has one pickup and it is a single coil (micky mouse reissue?), and trem. sweet!

the ones with 2 pickups, both humbuckers, woundnt be like any S-50 Guild has made before. those are closer to the S-90 or S-100

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I hope I get a chance to play one. Still waiting on a white T-Bird, though.

DThomasC

Reaction score
You can have this one today, albeit for twice the price. OTOH it might hold it's value...

It has the three-on-a-side headstock that I prefer, but I guess the six-on-a-side really does look cool too. That one already has the tip of the ear broken off.

I have one similar with a natural finish. Could not stand the cheap aluminum bridge. It gives the guitar a plinky, toy sound. The ToM bridge, while not vintage correct, probably works much better.

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
They actually look cool to say the least....and the price is right. The spec's list them as having a 25.5" scale length...I wonder if that is accurate?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I dig it man! That may just be the first Korean made Guild I purchase. I love the 6 on one side headstock as it was only used for one year in the late 60's IIRC. That thing looks smokin' in White with the Dark Headstock and Fretboard. That would be the perfect candidate for a TV Jones White Faced T-Armond swap in the Filtertron sized mountings. I would actually like it if it was 25.5" scale as I play that scale length a lot. Regardless it is one cool looking guitar. Only thing I would change would be to have 4 knobs instead of 2, Two volumes and two tones with one set for each independent pickup.

TX

DrumBob

Reaction score
You can have this one today, albeit for twice the price. OTOH it might hold it's value...

It has the three-on-a-side headstock that I prefer, but I guess the six-on-a-side really does look cool too. That one already has the tip of the ear broken off.

I have one similar with a natural finish. Could not stand the cheap aluminum bridge. It gives the guitar a plinky, toy sound. The ToM bridge, while not vintage correct, probably works much better.

I know the people at Music Den. I'll have to hip them on what it's selling for elsewhere.

DThomasC

Reaction score
I know the people at Music Den. I'll have to hip them on what it's selling for elsewhere.

I've been watching vintage S-50 Jetstars for a while and their price seems about right. It might be a little low for the super cool color, assuming it's original, but it seems like a fair asking price.

Thunderface

Reaction score
The Jet-Star reissues along with my '64 Polara S-100 and former '65 Jet-Star S-50. I believe the 60s Polara might have been offered with that headstock as well, but I could be wrong (and frequently am, hence the avatar).

OrigReish_zpsrbzjc1rv.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/guild-s-50-jetstar-solid-body-electric-guitar

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
That is true. Early S100's had the assymetrical 3 on a side tuners with chrome soapbar sc pickup. Each pickup had a vol and tone control. I think this version was made in 1963 and 1964.

Around 1965, with the introduction of the Mickey Mouse sc puckup, the S100 was altered. The headstock was replaced with a reverse Fenderish style, Mickey Mouse pickups and new control wiring that shares a lot of the controls that are on a Thunderbird. The Volume and Tone controls are niw Master Vol and Tone. With the little bkack slide switch pushed up towards low E string the neck pickup is active. With it pushed down towards high the bottom set of Vol/tone knobs are master cintrols for both pickups. The 3 way chrome selector switch selects neck, bridge or both.

M