New Hartford Guild Lovers

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Good to hear from you and if you are at all interested I recommend taking lessons. I thought I knew it all and I don't. :)

Frono, I think the trick for me is going to be finding a teacher who'll build on what I know. At my age, I don't think I want to start from scratch, I'm too impatient. I'd prefer a guy/girl that would look at what I do, then suggest ways to make that better. I wonder if such a teacher exists?

West

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Well, well, Bruno's back in town! How are things down Chile way? :rugby:

Joe

Hey Joe!

Everything's OK around here. I got a job a while ago, so I don't have as much time as before. But I guess that's an excuse and I should visit my friends more often, right? What ya think?

Hey Bruno, yes it has been a while. Sounds as if you've had an extended leave as well. Hope all is well down south.

West

Jim!

Yes, it is. I've been away for a while, but all is good in my neck of the woods. And your life seems to be doing pretty well too, uh? Anyway, I guess I should shoot you an email... Soon.

All the best,
Bruno

gilded

Reaction score
Hi Jim, nice to know you're still out there!
Harry

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hey Joe!

Everything's OK around here. I got a job a while ago, so I don't have as much time as before. But I guess that's an excuse and I should visit my friends more often, right? What ya think?

Jim!

Yes, it is. I've been away for a while, but all is good in my neck of the woods. And your life seems to be doing pretty well too, uh? Anyway, I guess I should shoot you an email... Soon.

All the best,
Bruno

I'd enjoy the email Bruno. And yes, I've been blessed more than many. I honestly don't deserve all I have, but I take none of it for granted and am thankful each and every day.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim, nice to know you're still out there!
Harry

Some of the old gang has been kicking around the idea of Arlington next year Harry. It would be the 10th anniversary of that get together. Yes, I'm still here, just busier than a beaver in a petrified forest. Good to hear from you sir.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
West, a while ago I started a thread on a geezer (me!) taking lessons:

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?187704-Guitar-lessons-thread&highlight=guitar+lessons

And I am currently taking these on-line lessons, and greatly enjoying the self-paced aspect of it. Not the "school" you would join probably, but I am loving it. Check it out.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showth...-line-guitar-lessons&highlight=guitar+lessons

walrus

I'll check them out Walrus......look forward to it.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
We could all do very well starting from Scratch...

;)

Good to see you around, Jim!

You too Chaz. And you're correct, we would do well to start from Scratch. : ) Great compliment, I'll tell him you said that.

West

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed that one, too!

Just checked the Guild web site, but no mention of Keith Urban - time for an update!

walrus

They might not want to get their brand confused with his:

urban-guitar.jpg

And surely I'm not the only guy here who sees the irony in a country singer named "Urban" ?

Neal

Reaction score
50 pieces???

Man, now I feel like I got ripped off with the New Hartford Guilds. I only got the guitar, the truss rod hex key, the case and the case key.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Keith Urban's Guitar Beginner package is actually pretty cool for folks that want to get into playing and are looking for a good "Package" with everything you need to learn. The guitars are of good enough quality that they stay in tune and intonate properly as well as play very easy for beginners. Keith's system starts with teaching chords and finger positions and then applying those freshly learned things so that the beginner can start playing songs almost immediately. He also plays his namesake guitars on stage from time to time. I thought it was pretty cool that he wanted to put a decent quality instrument in the hands of beginners so they wouldn't get discouraged learning how to play. This is a far better quality package than the Cheapo Esteban and First Act kits that so many beginners got stuck with eventually leading to them not wanting to learn.

TX

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Keith Urban's Guitar Beginner package is actually pretty cool for folks that want to get into playing and are looking for a good "Package" with everything you need to learn. The guitars are of good enough quality that they stay in tune and intonate properly as well as play very easy for beginners. Keith's system starts with teaching chords and finger positions and then applying those freshly learned things so that the beginner can start playing songs almost immediately. He also plays his namesake guitars on stage from time to time. I thought it was pretty cool that he wanted to put a decent quality instrument in the hands of beginners so they wouldn't get discouraged learning how to play. This is a far better quality package than the Cheapo Esteban and First Act kits that so many beginners got stuck with eventually leading to them not wanting to learn.

TX

Fascinating. I'd always wondered about Keith's little program. Great to know it's not a rip off.

West

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fascinating. I'd always wondered about Keith's little program. Great to know it's not a rip off.

West

I was very surprised by it as well West. I have a friend of mine who had been wanting to learn to play for awhile and she got this package as a gift. One of the things that is so cool is that as he teaches the chord to you and then shows you how to transition from one chord to another he shows you the path of least resistance. Then five minutes after you practice that he gives you a chord progression and you are immediately playing along with one of your favorite Keith Urban Songs with Keith Urban. Within a week or two she was already playing the rhythm to 3-4 songs and playing them rather well at that. I wish something like this was out when I was trying to teach myself how to play, It would have been a lot easier that is for sure.

TX

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I was very surprised by it as well West. I have a friend of mine who had been wanting to learn to play for awhile and she got this package as a gift. One of the things that is so cool is that as he teaches the chord to you and then shows you how to transition from one chord to another he shows you the path of least resistance. Then five minutes after you practice that he gives you a chord progression and you are immediately playing along with one of your favorite Keith Urban Songs with Keith Urban. Within a week or two she was already playing the rhythm to 3-4 songs and playing them rather well at that. I wish something like this was out when I was trying to teach myself how to play, It would have been a lot easier that is for sure.TX

+1 to this! I spent the first two years (as a kid) playing totally wrong! Not until college when a friend showed me a few things did I realize it. And even then, the famous "Alfred" lesson books were the best you could get. Still need to practice, practice, practice, but the access to information is unreal today compared to the "old" days.

And better than the *really* old days when The Beatles went across town to meet a guy who knew a Bm chord!

Anyway, I agree this set looks pretty impressive, and would be especially great for a Keith Urban fan.

walrus

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Frono, I think the trick for me is going to be finding a teacher who'll build on what I know. At my age, I don't think I want to start from scratch, I'm too impatient. I'd prefer a guy/girl that would look at what I do, then suggest ways to make that better. I wonder if such a teacher exists?

West

My teacher was an acquaintance before I started lessons. But we had several talks about a "mature student" - what I thought I knew, what I wanted to learn and so on. He has adjusted what he does to match "where I am". So I think there is hope - you can talk to a potential teacher and if things click, maybe take a lesson as a mutual audition. Some teachers have "a method" and all they can really do is take you though it, but others can adjust to teh student. You just have to find one of the latter.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
My teacher was an acquaintance before I started lessons. But we had several talks about a "mature student" - what I thought I knew, what I wanted to learn and so on. He has adjusted what he does to match "where I am". So I think there is hope - you can talk to a potential teacher and if things click, maybe take a lesson as a mutual audition. Some teachers have "a method" and all they can really do is take you though it, but others can adjust to teh student. You just have to find one of the latter.

Sounds right up my alley. I wouldn't mind learning scales, but have no real desire to play lead. What I'd like to learn most are finger style patterns. I use about 3, but there are many out there. I really want to become proficient at "Travis picking". I've tried online finger pattern instruction, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to take. I think maybe with someone sitting there with me, it might sink in. I've got no real desire to learn the neck, or the notes I should say.

I think that's what Walrus was referring to earlier in the thread when he mentioned the lessons he was taking, and it sounded as if he's learning what he wants to learn, though it might not be my cup of tea.

West

Last edited: