Earthquake In New Zealand.... hope Gary is okay.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd love for Gary (coastie99) to check in. 7.8 magnitude earthquake hits New Zealand and they've had a small Tsunami as well!!

Hope all members from that area are okay. Check in when you can!! :encouragement:

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Tom, I appreciate that.

Yes, a big sucker, felt pretty much country-wide. We were woken at 0005 and the movement went on for probably two minutes. The epicentre was probably less than 100 miles from here, as the crow flies and there's some pretty severe damage in towns near to it. One person missing under rubble. A country-wide Tsunami warning has been issued and many evacuated. We're close to the sea here but well elevated.

Hopefully, this will be visible to you ………….

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Yes, a big sucker, felt pretty much country-wide. We were woken at 0005 and the movement went on for probably two minutes. The epicentre was probably less than 100 miles from here, as the crow flies and there's some pretty severe damage in towns near to it. One person missing under rubble. A country-wide Tsunami warning has been issued and many evacuated. We're close to the sea here but well elevated.

Hopefully, this will be visible to you …………. http://www.stuff.co.nz/?cid=google:...:59960787525&gclid=CIT3lP_Ck8YCFVEGvAodsBIAwQ

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you all are Okay Coastie, Stay ahead of it and Stay alert. No telling if this was a stand alone event or a precursor to something bigger. We have you all in our prayers and hopefully the worst is over with.

Anyone been in contact with Stu "70Man"?

TX

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

Hopefully, this will be visible to you ………….

Glad to hear that all is well, Gary.

There's something to be said about living close to the water, but being well elevated! Same here. I'm 1/8 of a mile from the Long Island Sound, but still 100' in elevation. I can't say the same thing for the south shore of Long Island which is at sea level for a couple of miles inland. that was the same area that really got walloped in Hurricane Sandy.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay, thanks for checking in Gary!! SCARY STUFF!! And like TX said, if anyone hears from Stu, please let us know how he's doing. Stay safe, amigos! Those aftershocks can be treacherous (says the California guy)!!

sfIII

Reaction score
Guild Total
New Zealand earthquake rattles experts
By Dennis NormileNov. 14, 2016 , 11:30 AM
The earthquake that struck New Zealand shortly after midnight local time on 14 November, killing two people, is a stark reminder that New Zealand's seismic activity "is a lot more complicated than we thought," says James Goff, a seismologist and tsunami expert at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. The ruptured fault is not along the tectonic plate boundaries where major quakes are expected. "We are finding out again that there is seismic activity that we didn't really know about," Goff says.

The U.S. Geological Survey placed the epicenter of the magnitude-7.8 earthquake near Kaikoura, a coastal tourist town 92 kilometers northeast of Christchurch, at a depth of about 23 kilometers. The shallow quake caused extensive damage to infrastructure. Landslides blocked the main highway through the region and temporarily dammed the Clarence River. Aftershocks continued throughout the day Monday.

The earthquake’s epicenter was not on a known major fault, says Kevin McCue, an engineering seismologist at Australia's Central Queensland University in Rockhampton. New Zealand straddles the collision zone between the Australian and Pacific tectonic plates. The boundary between the two plates runs off the east coast of the North Island and along the west coast of the South Island. McCue says New Zealand's earthquake hazard maps anticipate strong quakes emanating from the complex faults in those boundaries. Today’s quake, however, occurred on a little studied intraplate fault. The quake, as well as strong temblors that struck Christchurch in 2010 and 2011, indicates that the east coast of the South Island "is a far more risky place than was thought." New Zealand's earthquake hazard maps, which affect building codes, must be reconsidered, McCue says. He also worries that today's quake might increase stress on the plate boundaries, where a rupture could produce a magnitude-8 earthquake.

The quake also triggered a 1-meter-or-so tsunami, which Goff says is unusual for a fault located beneath land. He suspects that about 1 meter of coastal ground uplift resulting from the fault movement disturbed the sea floor enough to trigger the tsunami. It's not clear yet whether that local phenomenon caused significant damage.

Posted in: Asia/PacificEarth

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
I didn't hear any news about your 'quake, Gary. However, I'm happy to read you're OK and I hope Stuart is safe and sound too! :encouragement:

All the best from the other side of the south, friends.
Bruno

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Tomás amigo!

Working, my friend, working. That's where I've been all this time. :hopelessness:

Thanks, as always, for your joy. :smile:

A hug,
Bruno