1964 D40's

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That particular Guild D-40 with serial # 33401 was completed on Wednesday July 22, 1964 in Hoboken, New Jersey.

These D-40s typically have flat fingerboards that are fairly wide; usually 1-3/4" / 1-7/8".

I was a bit surprised to read Hans' description of the neck geometry, as every Hoboken Guild I can recall playing had the same 1-11/16" radiused fingerboard. (And at various times I've owned an F-20, M-20, M-30, and F-40 from '56-65.)

I agree with Russell...my fingerboard is nowhere near 1-3/4".

I was talking about a D-40 that was part of a particular batch. I was not talking about other models from that same period, although I should add that the early D-50s had the same neck features as those early d-40s

I'm also pretty sure the neck on mine is one piece.

Maybe you should have another close look at the neck of your guitar!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
Hans--I recall someone (it might have been you) reporting that early on, all the Guild necks were hand-shaped, which would explain some of the differences one finds in individual instruments' profile/feel. And I certainly defer to you on specifics, but nevertheless it's surprising that one batch of D-40s would be so far from what I'd always thought was the standard fingerboard width. (With the notable exception of those really skinny M-20s.) It would be interesting to play one of those--as much as I love my old '40, my hands have long been comfortable with 1.75" and up necks.

phinegan

Reaction score
While we're discussing mid-60's D-40s, can anyone confirm mine (40909) is a 1965 model? According to the published lists, the last 1964 was 38636 and then in 1965 they went to an alphanumeric series of serial numbers.
Thanks
Dan

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
While we're discussing mid-60's D-40s, can anyone confirm mine (40909) is a 1965 model? According to the published lists, the last 1964 was 38636 and then in 1965 they went to an alphanumeric series of serial numbers.
Thanks
Dan

Those lists are "sketchy"; for one thing I think the operative phrase on that period is "that there is a record of", and bear in mind the change to alpha-numeric could have happened "any time" in '65.
I'd say there is a very good chance yours really is a '65, but Hans can always confirm with certainty.
He prefers emails at his website though because his mailbox here is constantly "filled".
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/

Hans--I recall someone (it might have been you) reporting that early on, all the Guild necks were hand-shaped, which would explain some of the differences one finds in individual instruments' profile/feel.
At least all the way through close of Westerly, in fact. Not sure how they did it in Corona, but we see reports of neck variation from there too.
And I certainly defer to you on specifics, but nevertheless it's surprising that one batch of D-40s would be so far from what I'd always thought was the standard fingerboard width.
I distinctly remember also being pretty surprised when I first read it a couple of years back, it was in answer to a new owner reporting his '64 D40 with a "flat" fretboard that at least a couple of us thought must have been "re-radiused".
He confirmed it was "as built" with the 1-3/4 nut, and when one thinks about it, those are what fingerpickers (like bluegrass players) are supposed to like for playability so it actually made a lot of sense for guitars called "Bluegrass Jubilee".
We also saw another post recently about the "fan" bracing they tried out on 'em at about the same time too.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the post's and info. I decided to pass on this guitar because of price but I will keep my eye's open future ad's.

Reaction score
I decided to pass on the Guild that was priced at $3,000 which have been told me it is too steep.

I will still look for the Guild Holy Grail!

docfishr

Reaction score
He confirmed it was "as built" with the 1-3/4 nut, and when one thinks about it, those are what fingerpickers (like bluegrass players) are supposed to like for playability so it actually made a lot of sense for guitars called "Bluegrass Jubilee".
We also saw another post recently about the "fan" bracing they tried out on 'em at about the same time too.[/QUOTE]

I admittedly know very little about bluegrass guitar playing but I was under the impression that it was mostly flat picking.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I admittedly know very little about bluegrass guitar playing but I was under the impression that it was mostly flat picking.

Check out Jorma Kaukonen's "Piedmont" style sometime, learned from Reverend Gary Davis. Uses at least 3 fingerpicks.
Named after the rolling hills bordering the coastal plain from stretching from New Jersey/ Pennsylvania down through (and primarily referring to) the Carolinas down to Alabama, considered part of the Appalachians, or as Dickie Smothers (another bluegrass fan and original D50 player) used to say, "The Applechains" :friendly_wink:
Where Bluegrass was born.
This ain't quite as good as he gets, but it's close and it's easy to find:

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
On the Guild D40 do you think in the condition on the first page is it worth $2,500.00?

Honestly it is ultimately up to you what you would pay for it but the Bluebook tops them out at $2000 in mint condition with no repairs. Personally I have never seen one sell for more that $1500-$1800 even in the condition of the one you are looking at. For me I couldn't imagine paying $2500 for it, I personally wouldn't go higher than $1500-$1700 at the most especially with the repaired crack in the top but that is just me.

TX

phinegan

Reaction score
On the Guild D40 do you think in the condition on the first page is it worth $2,500.00?

My two cents... being that it has had a few cracks repaired, no it's not a guitar I would shell out $2500 to buy. If I was in the market for a mid-1960's D-40 I might consider paying $2500 for a dead mint example that had survived without cracks, delamitation of the headstock, etc. Frankly for that kind of coin, most buyers would probably be gravitating toward a similar era D-18 unless they were hard-core Guild freaks.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Honestly it is ultimately up to you what you would pay for it but the Bluebook tops them out at $2000 in mint condition with no repairs.

My two cents... being that it has had a few cracks repaired, no it's not a guitar I would shell out $2500 to buy. If I was in the market for a mid-1960's D-40 I might consider paying $2500 for a dead mint example that had survived without cracks, delamitation of the headstock, etc.

First of all I don't appraise guitars without actually holding them in my hands. I also feel there's only a limited use for Bluebooks and similar publications when evaluating Guild guitars. Throwing all '60s D-40s together on one big heap would, in 'my book', be the same as saying that all '60s Fender Stratocasters should be priced equally, and that last statement would show that you are not in touch with the 'real world'.

At this point in time the market for used Fender guitars cannot be compared to the market for used Guild guitars and to me it shows that both sellers and buyers of used Guild guitars need to be educated to the point where they would be able to actually see (and feel and hear) the difference between an early or a somewhat later 60’s Guild D-40. Do you realize what Martin fans are willing to pay extra for something like a 1-3/4” wide nut? It took many years for the used Martin market to become what it is right now. I’m not saying that I’m hoping that the market for used Guild guitars will develop in the same way as some of the other brands have, but there is definitely room for improvement.

It would take some time for the used Guild market to develop in a way that prices would better reflect the actual differences between instruments from different periods.
So, while that is going on, it may not be a bad idea to take advantage of the situation and pay a premium for something that is nice and that you like. It may turn out to be the bargain that hardly anyone recognized as such at the time!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
I decided to get it as to the posts here by Hans and on the Martin Forum by John Arnold:

>>If any mid-1960's D40 is worth $2.5K, that would be the one. I have never seen a cleaner example. It is a true time capsule.
John<<

Last edited:

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations! Looking forward to a full report.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello Rick,

Welcome!

That particular Guild D-40 with serial # 33401 was completed on Wednesday July 22, 1964 in Hoboken, New Jersey.

These D-40s typically have flat fingerboards that are fairly wide; usually 1-3/4" / 1-7/8".

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Should our new member also be looking for "fan" bracing on it?
Just trying to reinforce my own memory of what happened when.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think 64 is the right era to look for fan bracing... but I think the experiment was short-lived. First thing I do when I receive a new Guild is swap out the strings, and I always look inside while the strings are off. So, maybe we'll hear something soon...

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I decided to get as to the posts here by Hans and on the Martin Forum by John Arnold:

>>If any mid-1960's D40 is worth $2.5K, that would be the one. I have never seen a cleaner example. It is a true time capsule.
John<<

Congrats Rick! I hope it turns out to be everything you want it to be and more. There is nothing wrong with overpaying a little for something you really want, especially if it is going to be a lifetime guitar like this one should be. Can't wait to hear the report on it.

TX

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Should our new member also be looking for "fan" bracing on it?

The way that guitars were assembled at Guild was such that it was possible for an earlier body to lay around for some time before it was made into a complete guitar. So it could be either the 'fan' bracing or the X-bracing, although I would expect this one to already have X-bracing.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl