cleaning tolex

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
What's the best thing for cleaning a very old decrepit case prior to taping the worn-out spots and bare wood? (This is not the case I have available under Want To Sell or Trade.)

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My amp Guy turned me on to Tuff Stuff, a multi purpose cleaner that works great on vinyl. I used it, with a toothbrush, to clean up an old Ampeg amp, and the difference was Night and day.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
... as a follow up question. What is the best thing for cleaning the control panel (faceplate) of an old blackface fender amp, without taking off any of the numbers or lettering?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
... as a follow up question. What is the best thing for cleaning the control panel (faceplate) of an old blackface fender amp, without taking off any of the numbers or lettering?
I was just watching an Uncle Doug YouTube on this last week. Basically, water with Q-tips. Anything stronger, and you risk taking the silkscreen lettering off.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yeah, Tuff Stuff is good for grimy surfaces. For less dirty tolex I just spray some Scrubbing Bubbles (or similar) on a damp cloth and give the amp or case a gentle wipe down. If the material you intend to clean is showing signs of breaking down, though, I recommend leaving it alone.

-Dave-

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I was just watching an Uncle Doug YouTube on this last week. Basically, water with Q-tips. Anything stronger, and you risk taking the silkscreen lettering off.

Thanks Chris! I enjoy Uncle Doug's videos. I like his appreciation for vintage amps and his ability to describe electronic circuits in plain language that the layman can understand. I have learned a lot from watching those.

Bill

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I cleaned my old Randall amp with an old spray can of "The Tannery". I assume it's still around. I over scrubbed one spot on the part with raised letters that said "Commander II" with a scrub pad and now it is pretty much gone. Don't use a scrub pad on the control face.

bobouz

Reaction score
I just use Windex & a cotton cloth (on both cases & amps).