New 12-String Capo

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Glad to hear this -- yours is the first comment I've seen on the new version and I was waiting for feedback before plunking down my moolah!
I think the new Thalias are very nice, and have a couple of them. The tension has been adjusted to make them easier to use. I bought the 200 Series XL Rubber Tuning Kit to see if it would add the extra tension needed for my 12 strings, as the standard inserts don't work at all. But no joy with the XL inserts, either.

I have two capos that will successfully fret my 12 strings, a (roller) Shubb and a Kyser. The Kyser is great because I can store it on the guitar, but it takes some fiddling with to get it to seat right, and even then the intonation is off a wee bit. The Shubb frets OK with no fiddling, but there is still the intonation issue that bugs me.

I have been waiting on the G7th, as I really like the design. I am glad to hear it works so well.

johnny3j

Reaction score
Guild Total
I met Nick, the owner, at NAMM a while back. I then bought a G7th when they came out first and was very impressed with how it worked on my 6 strings. Then I hunted down their 12 string version at the time, it worked better than previous capos I had used. I hear the same effect awagner is describing too when it comes to capos, but I am very curious about Glenn's solution and that new 12 string G7th.
After pondering how it forms itself to any radius etc. it should work on all guitars whether 6 or 12 string, right?
Or is there still a need for owning both 6 & 12 string capo versions?

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
According to Nick, the 12-string capo works great on 6 strings as well, so you would not need to get the 6-string version. I actually have not tried it on a 6 string yet, but I will do so, just to confirm. I already have an older G7th Performance capo and Shubb that work just fine on my 6 strings. It is just 12 strings that present a challenge.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
12 string capos will usually work on a 6 string...the reverse is not necessarily true...the length of the capo...the width of the neck...sometimes the 6 string version will work up to about the 4th or 5th fret...some double truss rod necks are too thick for the 6 string capos.

One of the bigger issues that many forget is the fretboard radius vs the capo radius...the FS4612CE has a flat radius...most capos are steeper...the Kyser will work, especially as the spring tension weakens, as well as the G7th...had the original version from Nick at NAMM...I'll check out the new one in January...and where you place the capo is equally important...as close to the fret, even on it, with the minimum amount of tension, will stretch the strings the least...and a softer padding will be more forgiving of the pairs...when the pads get old and stiff it's time for replacement...like anything else, sometimes you need a specific capo for each instrument.

wileypickett

Reaction score
The fingerboard radius issue is another thing the mouse-pad solution takes care of. Because of it's sponginess it confirms easily to the whatever radius fingerboard you use it on.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I tried it on some more guitars over the weekend and it works just fine on 6 strings as well. I like that you can use the ramps as guides for the strings. Having said that, I will probably only use it on my 12s. Yoke style capos take longer to apply, and my other G7th and Shubb work great on my 6ers and I can apply them instantly. I am not a string bender, so I really don't encounter any problems with the guitars going out of tune while capoed, an issue that the Elliott and G7th Heritage capos are designed to address.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've got a Shubb 12-string capo. Works great on 12 and 6 strings.