Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most accurate tuners for a Starfire bass? (upgrading my Dearmond)

Most accurate tuners for a Starfire bass? (upgrading my Dearmond)

What tuners are the most accurate for a Starfire bass?
    The Dearmond originals are ok but ugly and I think the shafts on the current reissues are too long.

I really like the Hipshot Ultralights. I put them on my '67 Starfire and they are great. Very smooth, accurate, and reduces the neck dive.

Any discernable tone diffs due to the reduced mass?

Quote Originally Posted by edwin View Post
    I really like the Hipshot Ultralights. I put them on my '67 Starfire and they are great. Very smooth, accurate, and reduces the neck dive.
    A big +1 to that. They proved to be an excellent upgrade for my Jack Casady Signature bass, and for the same reasons. For some reason (volume, probably) Musician's Friend has them for around $50 less than anyone else. That's where I got mine.
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602M, '10 F512NT,
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst) '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype

Quote Originally Posted by lungimsam View Post
    Any discernable tone diffs due to the reduced mass?
    Not that I can notice, however, I've had Gotohs on there for the last 10 years. I do notice the ability to get and stay in tune much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
    A big +1 to that. They proved to be an excellent upgrade for my Jack Casady Signature bass, and for the same reasons. For some reason (volume, probably) Musician's Friend has them for around $50 less than anyone else. That's where I got mine.
    There are two versions: USA and outsourced. MF has the outsourced version.

Are you guys replacing the tuners because they are worn out, because they are heavy, or both?

As far as a I know my early '66 SF I has the original tuners. The bass has been played and played and played, but the tuners hold pitch and I've never had a problem with neck dive.

Also, do you have to have to modify the headstock in any way to put a new set of ultralights or gotohs on an original '60s SF bass?
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '75 Mark 4 P, '00 Black Bird,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp

Quote Originally Posted by edwin View Post
    There are two versions: USA and outsourced. MF has the outsourced version.
    They're not the Asian version, at least the ones I got weren't. Made in USA (NY, even!).
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602M, '10 F512NT,
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst) '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype

Quote Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
    They're not the Asian version, at least the ones I got weren't. Made in USA (NY, even!).
    Great to know! When I tried to get some from a mega store, they were the cheaper version.

Quote Originally Posted by gilded View Post
    Are you guys replacing the tuners because they are worn out, because they are heavy, or both?

As far as a I know my early '66 SF I has the original tuners. The bass has been played and played and played, but the tuners hold pitch and I've never had a problem with neck dive.

Also, do you have to have to modify the headstock in any way to put a new set of ultralights or gotohs on an original '60s SF bass?

Well, my original tuners (1967) were slipping a bit. The headstock does need to be modified a bit, as you need to drill for the set screw. I don't recall exactly, but you might also need to enlarge the hole slightly. Easily done with a cello reamer.

I had no compunction about doing it as my modifications on this bass started decades ago. And the smell of 50 year old mahogany shavings is one of the most exquisite smells on earth!