Most accurate tuners for a Starfire bass? (upgrading my Dearmond)

mikbass

Reaction score
What tuners are the most accurate for a Starfire bass?
The Dearmond originals are ok but ugly and I think the shafts on the current reissues are too long.

edwin

Reaction score
I really like the Hipshot Ultralights. I put them on my '67 Starfire and they are great. Very smooth, accurate, and reduces the neck dive.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Any discernable tone diffs due to the reduced mass?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I really like the Hipshot Ultralights. I put them on my '67 Starfire and they are great. Very smooth, accurate, and reduces the neck dive.

A big +1 to that. They proved to be an excellent upgrade for my Jack Casady Signature bass, and for the same reasons. For some reason (volume, probably) Musician's Friend has them for around $50 less than anyone else. That's where I got mine.

edwin

Reaction score
Any discernable tone diffs due to the reduced mass?

Not that I can notice, however, I've had Gotohs on there for the last 10 years. I do notice the ability to get and stay in tune much easier.

edwin

Reaction score
A big +1 to that. They proved to be an excellent upgrade for my Jack Casady Signature bass, and for the same reasons. For some reason (volume, probably) Musician's Friend has them for around $50 less than anyone else. That's where I got mine.

There are two versions: USA and outsourced. MF has the outsourced version.

gilded

Reaction score
Are you guys replacing the tuners because they are worn out, because they are heavy, or both?

As far as a I know my early '66 SF I has the original tuners. The bass has been played and played and played, but the tuners hold pitch and I've never had a problem with neck dive.

Also, do you have to have to modify the headstock in any way to put a new set of ultralights or gotohs on an original '60s SF bass?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There are two versions: USA and outsourced. MF has the outsourced version.

They're not the Asian version, at least the ones I got weren't. Made in USA (NY, even!).

edwin

Reaction score
They're not the Asian version, at least the ones I got weren't. Made in USA (NY, even!).

Great to know! When I tried to get some from a mega store, they were the cheaper version.

edwin

Reaction score
Are you guys replacing the tuners because they are worn out, because they are heavy, or both?

As far as a I know my early '66 SF I has the original tuners. The bass has been played and played and played, but the tuners hold pitch and I've never had a problem with neck dive.

Also, do you have to have to modify the headstock in any way to put a new set of ultralights or gotohs on an original '60s SF bass?

Well, my original tuners (1967) were slipping a bit. The headstock does need to be modified a bit, as you need to drill for the set screw. I don't recall exactly, but you might also need to enlarge the hole slightly. Easily done with a cello reamer.

I had no compunction about doing it as my modifications on this bass started decades ago. And the smell of 50 year old mahogany shavings is one of the most exquisite smells on earth!

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Could you post some pics from front, side, and back of headstock?
I am thinking of getting these for my Starfire which has massive neck dive.

edwin

Reaction score
Could you post some pics from front, side, and back of headstock?
I am thinking of getting these for my Starfire which has massive neck dive.

Sure. It might take me a day or two, but please remind me if I space it out!

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
I emailed hipshot. There are two versions: the Korean made and the USA made. the Korean made are the ones called licensed. They said the only difference is the tolerances aren't quite as tight on the Korean ones but most people can't tell.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
I replaced my original tuners on my Starfire recently. I also added the hipshot ultralites in mine. I had to use a 1/2" drill bit to widen the holes enough. Then a touch of sanding. My A string tuner had been slipping since I bought it off of Edwin. I did it partly because I was sick of it a because I eventually want all black hardware on it. I haven't had much time to get used to the tuners though as I dropped it off shortly after to get a new bridge installed.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/a/bVWzq

I think it looks nice (even though the back looks like a literal trainwreck lol). I was a bit nervous drilling a new hole for the E string. But that headstock is definitely stable and strong even though it doesn't look like it.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
https://imgur.com/a/bVWzq

I think it looks nice (even though the back looks like a literal trainwreck lol). I was a bit nervous drilling a new hole for the E string. But that headstock is definitely stable and strong even though it doesn't look like it.

Just because I can...

o9rEecZ.jpg
usEnqex.jpg

I do like the black...

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for posting those pictures! I don't know where to get them from. Hipshot store is not working. And online sellers don't specify if they are USA made or Korean licensed versions. Some Of the pictures of the tuner bases simply say hipshot, hipshot USA, or nothing. So I don't know which are which unless it says usa in the pic. Some of the pictures don't have anything stamped into the base. But the description says they are not reversible which means they should be USA versions. So confusing!
Anyway, they look real nice and I bet they save on a lot of weight. I have read some reviews about how nicely they work compared to some stock tuners.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Thanks for posting those pictures! I don't know where to get them from. Hipshot store is not working. And online sellers don't specify if they are USA made or Korean licensed versions. Some Of the pictures of the tuner bases simply say hipshot, hipshot USA, or nothing. So I don't know which are which unless it says usa in the pic. Some of the pictures don't have anything stamped into the base. But the description says they are not reversible which means they should be USA versions. So confusing!
Anyway, they look real nice and I bet they save on a lot of weight. I have read some reviews about how nicely they work compared to some stock tuners.

I bought them from Bass Strings Online. Great retailer! Jason should be quite helpful on giving you an answer as to their origin and the price was way better than anything else I could find. It was under $50 for the set.

And frono I agree, I really should trim those. I have a friend whose guitar is always like that except 5 times longer. Gotta watch your eyeballs.