Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Tube Amp, Volume Cut Out...

Already did. Again, after replacing the cable everything worked fine. I suspect the problem was an old cable that was on its last legs.

Quote Originally Posted by guildman63 View Post
    Already did. Again, after replacing the cable everything worked fine. I suspect the problem was an old cable that was on its last legs.
    I'm laughing because, "Yeah that's one of the oldest problems in the book".
    It being a new amp, can understand the natural inclination to think it's the amp.
    Have to go along with the advice to check with Supro on the temp issue though.
    Default's got a lot more experience than I do and it sounds like it shouldn't be getting that "hot", but that's a relative term in itself.
    Last edited by adorshki; 10-28-2016 at 06:51 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Interestingly, once I turned the amp off after 3+ hours of use it was pretty cool within a few minutes. I'm not sure how to quantify how hot it was when on, so in all likelihood it was pretty normal. I've been using SS amps for a while, and I'm getting older, so my memory is probably the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by guildman63 View Post
    Interestingly, once I turned the amp off after 3+ hours of use it was pretty cool within a few minutes. I'm not sure how to quantify how hot it was when on, so in all likelihood it was pretty normal. I've been using SS amps for a while, and I'm getting older, so my memory is probably the issue.
    Some amps are notorious for getting hot: Voxs, Hiwatts, etc... (Daltrey has told of drying mics out between sets by placing them on the overheated Hiwatts.) Best to call Supro just to check; it can't hurt.
    Chris
    ---
    '56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '61 M-20, '62 F-20, '64 S-50 Jetstar, '64 Mark II, '65 SFIV, '71 S-90, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVp, '81 M-80,
    '82 S-275, '86 T-250, '88 Detonator, '90 Pilot SB602, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird, '99 F-30, '16 NS S-200 Thunderbird
    '54 Masteramp, '60 99j, '66 Thunderbass, '69 Thunderstar, '92 G-500
    Acorn House
    '08 Parlor, '10 Butternut Deuce, '13 Rounder, '14 Kulakeiki

'94 G&L Legacy
    '03 Elder Lute
    ---
    http://acornhouseworkshop.com/

Some tube amps do run hotter than others. I have an old National Val-Verb (Valco design & manufacture, they also made the original Supros, uses 6973 power tubes) that gets pretty warm, though not what I'd call "hot." It's been like that for as long as I've owned it…about 20 years. Your Supro likely uses a similar circuit, and if so warm may be part of the deal. I'd keep a close eye on it, though.

I've certainly had cables go wonky often enough that you'd think I'd remember all the previous times each time it happens again. Nope. ;)

BTW, here's a pic of the Val-Verb. According to a recent Vintage Guitar article it was likely the very first combo amp with reverb on the market.

-Dave-
    Last edited by Quantum Strummer; 10-29-2016 at 08:36 PM.
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 Thunderbird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

I haven't had any problems since switching to a new cable. The amp sounds great, and yes, it is designed based on the 1964 Tremo-Verb with the same 6973 power tubes. The main difference is that in 1964 it was a 5 watt amp. Now, it is 25 watts similar to the Dual-Tone model.

You know, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but everybody assumes that cable jack plug ends are exactly the same dimensions.

Truth is, they're not. I have a friend who had an old Parker Fly that came from an era where they had problems with the female jack plug receptacle on the guitar (pre 2002, look it up under 'parker fly jack problems, or check out this service bulletin): http://www.parkerguitars.com/support...alBulletin.pdf

The bottom line is, the old Parker receptacles break and the tech charges are several hundred dollars to fix. Really. OR, you just get a Monster cable and the jack receptacle will work. Why? Monster Jack Plugs dimensions are slightly larger and will usually work with the old Parkers. The down side is that once you go the Monster way, you can't use 'normal' cables anymore, at least on the Parkers.

So, your amp's heat could have opened up a cold solder joint on the cable, or the vibration from the amp could have done the same, or your new replacement cable jack plug could be larger and still have better contact with the amp after it heats up and things expand.

And that is the last thing I'm writing about this subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '75 Mark 4 P, '00 Black Bird,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp

I guess it all depends on how hot "HOT" is.
    1974 Ovation Legend
    Walden G2070
    G&L Legacy Tribute
    1984 Ovation 1758 12 string
    2010 Guild F47R
    2013 Guild NS X175-B
    1998 Guild Starfire IV
    2008 Prototype D55

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gilded View Post
    And that is the last thing I'm writing about this subject.
    Don't quit while I am still learning :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.