Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
5D3_8232%201_1600.jpg

5D3_8295_1600.jpg

5D3_8253_1600.jpg

5D3_8245_1600.jpg

It sounds great plugged in. I have two X500s in hand, having bought LA's walnut model. That one is much livelier acoustically since it doesn't have the big honkin' post under the bridge. It also feeds back like crazy whereas this one doesn't which is as expected given the post.

The neck, though. I'm not sure what's up with the neck. To me it looks like it took a hard whack or something, but there are no other signs of that happening. What it almost looks like is that the bottom part of the neck was pried up unsuccessfully. There are odd marks in the finish all around the neck, too, that I can't explain. The binding has some rot on the fretboard and around the neck joint, but nowhere else.

The neck seems stable. It plays well, though there is a very slight hump in the neck over the spot where it joins the body. I'll give it a day or so to acclimate with new strings and see if the truss rod does its job unless I decide to just up and return it, which I may do. If he offers a partial refund I may take it and see what it would take to make it right, but it would need to be a sweet deal. It's a good deal as it is, but not if it's going to require $1000 worth of work. It's so damn pretty, though! What could have happened to it? The gold isn't even worn off of the pickups!

I have a borescope that I've been playing with so that I can look inside these guitars. I don't see anything obviously wrong inside it at the neck joint.

Oh, and the case is a wreck and smells like pipe tobacco, so there's that. Yay. That's the second Guild in a week shipped to me in a case that I have to keep in the garage. Yuck. Thankfully the guitar does not smell.

Oh, and the guitar was wrapped in bubble wrap inside the case. Sigh... Don't use bubble wrap on lacquer guitars. Luckily it was cool out.

Oh yeah, I complained that the pics didn't show the original volume knob so he put that on and put the dopey brass one in the case pocket where it fell out and rattled around during it's long trip in a box with inadequate packing material. Oddly enough, the freaking bubble wrap may have saved the guitar from that stupid knob. This is how I found the knob when I opened the case. Oy.

IMG_3002_1600.jpg

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
That looks like a lovely guitar! I don't really see any issues at the neck or neck joint - do you have some pictures of the specific areas you mentioned? Good luck with it!

Leave the case out in the "nice part" of New Jersey air - it will smell different! ;-)

guildman63

Reaction score
If you bought LA's walnut model post a pic. I sold one to a guy in TX, and it eventually wound up with LA. You may have my former guitar.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think what I really want is something like a '94 X500 in sunburst with a 1 11/16" neck and HB1s. Yum...

kakerlak

Reaction score
I think what I really want is something like a '94 X500 in sunburst with a 1 11/16" neck and HB1s. Yum...

Go for a 700 -- why not?

This '95 is a killer deal, but it's local pickup (Denver) only: https://reverb.com/item/3301971-guild-x700-1995 It looks like it's serial number 50, which would be 34 higher than my '94. Unfortunately, 34 instruments is enough time for it to have hit the streets with SD-1s, rather than the real deal, at least judging by the black adjust-screws.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Oh, and the case is a wreck and smells like pipe tobacco, so there's that. Yay. That's the second Guild in a week shipped to me in a case that I have to keep in the garage. Yuck. Thankfully the guitar does not smell.

The first SG I bought earlier this year still smells like a cigar. Not as pungent as when it arrived, but still…it's been sitting out on a stand for nearly eight months. Musta marinated for years in smoke. Good thing it plays & sounds so good.

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That was mine! It has the telltale very small ding on the top just south of the knobs. Great guitar, and my all-time favorite burst!

It has definitely grown on me. It's not the color I wanted (the other one is), but it is rock solid from a structural standpoint and plays and sounds great. My only nitpicks are the worn gold and the small neck. It's got a very "rich" look to it.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Go for a 700 -- why not?

This '95 is a killer deal, but it's local pickup (Denver) only: https://reverb.com/item/3301971-guild-x700-1995 It looks like it's serial number 50, which would be 34 higher than my '94. Unfortunately, 34 instruments is enough time for it to have hit the streets with SD-1s, rather than the real deal, at least judging by the black adjust-screws.

That's a great price. Lower than some of the X500s out there. I'd consider it if I didn't have to buy a plane ticket to get it.

kakerlak

Reaction score
That's a great price. Lower than some of the X500s out there. I'd consider it if I didn't have to buy a plane ticket to get it.

Maybe there's a Denver local here willing to play guitar broker for you?

planetguy

Reaction score
I usually prefer my X500's as blondes, but every now and then a pretty SB does turn my head!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Did you want a jazz guitar or not?

I just stumbled across this pic of Jonny Smith which made me think of your comment. I think I could of had some fine conversation with that gentleman!

112323347_137125456102.jpg