Taylor 714 BCE

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've never considered myself much of a Taylor fan in the past. They are beautiful guitars, built well and hugely popular but the tone typically just seemed too bright for my tastes. As is always the case, such a broad generalization is seldom always true. I had run across several Taylors that sounded really good but I was just concentrating on picking up the elusive Guilds I seem to always be chasing.

Well, a couple months ago I saw this Taylor 714 BCE come up on the local Craig's List and I decided to take the plunge. It had two things going against it right from the start. Number one, I had to get over my "I'm not a Taylor fan" bias and number two,, I typically am not much of a fan of a cutaway guitar.

In this case, I can say I am really, really pleased with the guitar. It's got a very sweet and full sound and the playability is superb. I think I've mentioned before that I'm really a singer who plays just well enough to get by, This guitar of course doesn't make me a better player but at least to my ear it makes what I play at least sound better. By the way, I didn't mention but I'm sure you can see in the pics that will follow shortly, the B in the model number stands for Brazilian.

I may decide to sell this down the line to fund a Guild purchase I've been chasing for the last year or so but if I end up keeping it I can honestly say it wouldn't break my heart and in fact, I'd be happy to do so.

Eric, AKA Mavuser, will be along shortly to post a few pics of the guitar and as usual Eric, I much appreciate your help.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Taylor makes some mighty fine guitars. I don't like every one, but of all the guitars in my house, the Taylor gets the most playing time. Sounds great, smaller, light weight, plays like a dream..... what more could you want? Can't wait to see the photos! I try to judge without letting the name on the headstock bias my ears. Plus if they all sounded the same, that would be silly...... :encouragement:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love my Taylor DNK and it's the brightness that I love about it. It's a damn delicate thing next to a Guild, though.

The 714 is a nice model. I've wanted an 812 CE ever since I played a magic one in a shop here in NJ some 8 years ago and foolishly walked away. I've never played another one that sounded as good.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
they are incredibly playable guitars, the necks are fantastic.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
nice one! i like Taylors, once played a "grand Auditorium" (I think) that was probably the nicest guitar I have ever had in my hands. may have been the 814 model (about 12-15 years ago).

here's Richards!

4Af1Dg.jpg

6YySdq.jpg

ZEXukP.jpg

7vXqot.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
oh and the old school fishman electronics, way better sounding than the current system. I am not a fan of barn door electronics in general but this will sound great live. nice!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I haven't played a whole lotta Taylors, but the one I own is a gem. It's a 512-C Nanci Griffith, made in 1996 and bought new by me shortly after the model's launch. It's a crisp sounding fingerpicking guitar, though over the years it has filled out some in the mids and now responds well to gentle strumming & flatpicking.

I don't have a pic of it handy, but the guitar in the Reverb listing below looks a lot like it. (Mine has less red in the 'burst.)

https://reverb.com/item/1436790-199...rare-only-100-made-cherry-sunburst-florentine

-Dave-

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Great looking guitar, richard! The rosewood is exceptional and so is the top. I played a 614 CE not long ago and absolutely fell in love with it. Super sweet sounding and playing guitar. It was more than I have invested in all four of my Guilds put together, although very tempting, just couldn't pull the trigger.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The best Taylor I've ever played was a redesigned 2014 814ce. I loved it, but not $3500 worth! the rest that I've played all sounded kind of tinny to my ear, but I do understand their appeal. They are great guitars to play and have fantastic necks, as Woody has already said.

Reaction score
I've never considered myself much of a Taylor fan in the past. They are beautiful guitars, built well and hugely popular but the tone typically just seemed too bright for my tastes. As is always the case, such a broad generalization is seldom always true. I had run across several Taylors that sounded really good but I was just concentrating on picking up the elusive Guilds I seem to always be chasing.

Well, a couple months ago I saw this Taylor 714 BCE come up on the local Craig's List and I decided to take the plunge. It had two things going against it right from the start. Number one, I had to get over my "I'm not a Taylor fan" bias and number two,, I typically am not much of a fan of a cutaway guitar.

In this case, I can say I am really, really pleased with the guitar. It's got a very sweet and full sound and the playability is superb. I think I've mentioned before that I'm really a singer who plays just well enough to get by, This guitar of course doesn't make me a better player but at least to my ear it makes what I play at least sound better. By the way, I didn't mention but I'm sure you can see in the pics that will follow shortly, the B in the model number stands for Brazilian.

I may decide to sell this down the line to fund a Guild purchase I've been chasing for the last year or so but if I end up keeping it I can honestly say it wouldn't break my heart and in fact, I'd be happy to do so.

Eric, AKA Mavuser, will be along shortly to post a few pics of the guitar and as usual Eric, I much appreciate your help.

If I may be so bold, what was the price you paid for this guitar? I have one of these that I have been looking to sell and I have not been able to get a straight answer out of the local guitar shops on a price for it. They have said whatever I want to sell it for. They saw $2400-6000 on it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If I may be so bold, what was the price you paid for this guitar? I have one of these that I have been looking to sell and I have not been able to get a straight answer out of the local guitar shops on a price for it. They have said whatever I want to sell it for. They saw $2400-6000 on it.

I see a first post, welcome aboard PoppaG!!
RE the Taylor value question, have you checked a Guitar Bluebook?

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
I can go with twocorgis statement. I was in San Diego in the days before the NAMM show where the new 800 family was introduced. They had just placed a set in the "showroom" (play room is more applicable for some of us!). All for body styles were very different in tone than any of their predecessors or peers that I had played or heard as as others have noted, Taylor's seem to be on the bright side. On the other hand that price tag....... OUCH (particlularly if it is not quite what you want!)