What are those strange listings ...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of my causal dining spots had Stone's Imperial Russian Stout on tap and that was followed with a 2016 bottle at home. Thus I was not paying much attention to LTG. If there is anything to be done (we Moderators can be an independent lot) or an explanation I'll try and do so.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I merged the related threads. Two users were spamming the forum. I do not have the access/tools to figure out how the accounts were not subject to the moderation policy. I was, however, able to delete all of the posts and ban the users. So things should be back to what we expect...

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking care of the spammers Frono! Nothing like a little excitement on a Friday Night!

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I merged the related threads. Two users were spamming the forum. I do not have the access/tools to figure out how the accounts were not subject to the moderation policy. I was, however, able to delete all of the posts and ban the users. So things should be back to what we expect...

Huzzah!

Opsimath

Reaction score
I was so paranoid about hacking, etc., that I high-tailed it off the forums and shut down my computer entirely, no internet, no power. Glad to see all is back to normal this afternoon.

Thank you Frono!

GAD, how do you know those are Korean gambling sites? Were you brave enough to click?!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was so paranoid about hacking, etc., that I high-tailed it off the forums and shut down my computer entirely, no internet, no power. Glad to see all is back to normal this afternoon.

Thank you Frono!

GAD, how do you know those are Korean gambling sites? Were you brave enough to click?!

I do network design and such for a living, so I have a good nose for danger on the Internet. I never click on links like those. Instead, I looked at the links, saw what seemed to be the thing they were pushing, and did some research from there. The first hit was a Seiko wristwatch, but that didn't seem likely so I kept digging and found the website. As soon as I saw the site I knew it was the target. It's just that kind of site.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, to reduce your risk of infection from such things, I encourage people to install Adblock Plus and Ghostery on your browsers. You can whitelist sites if you want a certain site to gain ad revenue. It's not an anti-virus tool, but sometimes viruses and malware do sneak in through ads. Ghostery stops trackers from tracking you and can also stop some other nefarious scripts from running.

The best defense is mindset, though. The "I'm not clicking on that" feeling is the best thing you can do to keep yourself safe.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
YAAAAY!! I woke up to normalcy!! Well, as normal as my life gets anyway...... thanks frono!!! :encouragement:

*snicker* I deliberately did not use the word "normal" because of a snarky teenager who would always say that "Normal is just a setting on a clothes dryer".

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The best defense is mindset, though. The "I'm not clicking on that" feeling

That is SO hard to teach. After years in IT, I get red flags right away when I see or hear stuff. My Dad or teachers at work.... they simply trust the internet.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm happy it's not the whole site, I was wondering what I was going to do about it, but knowing it's not my PC makes me feel a lot better.
See what happens when Al mentions politics?? We get hacked!! :sad:
walrus
Just wait'll I get my own website counseling dysfunctional families.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Did he ever grow up or did he just get a little older? I think I like this kid......LOL!!

I tell my kids that "normal" is dumb. Anyone who has ever done anything of consequence is not normal. By definition.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That could be a very entertaining web site!

walrus

Takes a lot of planning and material already "in the can" prior to launch:

"5 things your parents won't tell you about themselves"
"How to find out if you were an accident"
"How to tell your parents you forgive them for adopting you"
"When nobody will listen: Tattoos"