Bob Dylan today

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Re: the motorcycle thing. During the mid-seventies, I had a close work association with BD's uncle. One day he was telling me about, just returning from an important family event that Bob had invited him to and was held in LA. I won't disclose any of the details he told me, but he confirmed that BD was not doing well and had been going through a very troubling period in his life, but things were starting to turn around.

I offer no opinion on whether he needs to be gracious or not. 56 plus years and counting, and as always, he'll deal with it HIS way, and I'm good with that.

totally. BD has done no wrong here. As a matter of fact, Leon Helm did a similar refusal to accept an award. they no doubt spent time hanging out in the Big Pink house in Woodstock or whatever town close to it they did the basement tapes.
must have been an amazing time to live in upstate NY.

gilded

Reaction score
totally. BD has done no wrong here. As a matter of fact, Leon Helm did a similar refusal to accept an award. they no doubt spent time hanging out in the Big Pink house in Woodstock or whatever town close to it they did the basement tapes.

To the extent they remembered it, I totally agree.

Friend of mine had a record shop in the '70s, here in town. Richard Manuel and Rick Danko walked in at 11:00 am one morning, looking for a friend. They were completely drunk. I could go on, but this is a public forum and I don't want to besmirch the memory of my Heroes. Those guys (The Band) were magnificent. BD is no slouch, either.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

I should probably apologize for my less-than-precise comment about him "turning it down".
In fact the problem is, as Silverfox graciously pointed out, they simply can't find him, and still can't, and have given up trying, as of yesterday's media sources I can find quickly.
According to at least a couple of sources they'll award the prize anyway.
I guess "in absentia" doesn't only apply to trials.
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Rejecting prestigious awards is LACK of dealing with his life, in my opinion. Is he that much of a wreck that he can't be gracious?
"In a statement to The Wrap, Swedish Academy permanent secretary Sara Danius said, 'We have not yet established direct contact with Bob Dylan but I have spoken to one of his close colleagues, who was extremely gracious.' ”
See?
Even if he is that much of a wreck, he has his "people" do it for him.
:glee:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Donald Trump could learn something here.
I mean after all, he could afford it, right?
(If I get banned for that, just remember I loved all you guys)
:eek:

LOL. Perfect Al.
but he would still start yelling over the person he is paying to be gracious for him, etc.
ok, remember, both Al and I loved you all...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And here I am trying to be a little angel (for once) and I can't say anything!!! I'll miss you guys.....
I don't know what got into me, singling out a guy for ridicule like that. (sniff)
I deserve whatever happens.
(sniff)
:hopelessness:
(sniff)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Before this thread is closed (thanks, Al :untroubled:), let me say that I never thought I would see the day when Dylan had "people" to do things for him!

And Tom, your angelic efforts are appreciated, let's see how long it lasts... :friendly_wink:

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
After certain comments it seems this thread may be "Knock, Knock, Knocking on Heaven's Door".:sad:

TX

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think we have better moderators than that. Al was skating on the edge of the precipice and ..... I was truly worried. But as of this evening, I think we're okay. Let this be a lesson to you ALL!! I don't need another sleepless night over $hit like this, okay?? :dejection:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm glad BD doesn't have to be aware that he's carrying the weight of this thread on his shoulders too!!! :friendly_wink:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm glad BD doesn't have to be aware that he's carrying the weight of this thread on his shoulders too!!! :friendly_wink:

Take a load off Fanny, Take a load for free, Take a load off Fanny, Well...Well...Well.......you put the load right on me.:triumphant:

TX

JimmyD

Reaction score
An award and Bob is nowhere to be found. Dylan's always been a master of working the crowd, the room, the hall, the world stage. Is Bob coming.....will he show....where is he....so and so talked to someone who knows a friend of his neighbor who's dog goes to the same day care. He's good.....very good.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
An award and Bob is nowhere to be found. Dylan's always been a master of working the crowd, the room, the hall, the world stage. Is Bob coming.....will he show....where is he....so and so talked to someone who knows a friend of his neighbor who's dog goes to the same day care. He's good.....very good.

Yes, and hasn't that always been a big part his appeal to most of us? Why should he change now?