Guitar Doorbell - For Real?

ladytexan

Reaction score
From Hammacher Schlemmer! Does anyone have one? Please post pictures, if you do!!!!!

guitar.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be annoying if it was out of tune? And if so, it seems like a hassle to keep in tune, etc. Cool idea, but not very practical, IMHO.

Perhaps why you posted it in the Funny Papers, Toni?

walrus

ladytexan

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be annoying if it was out of tune? And if so, it seems like a hassle to keep in tune, etc. Cool idea, but not very practical, IMHO.

walrus
You are so right!! I can't imagine why anyone would want one. But, hey, each to his/her own. I'm with you about it going out-of-tune. And, honestly, every time one went 'in' or 'out' of the door, you would hear the dang thing. Nope, not for me. According to the video, HS is coming-out with black, natural, white, and pink....YIKES!!!!! Wonder if they sell that many?

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

walrus
Yeah, wouldn't want that all the time, but it might be a cool thing to set up for parties. Definitely a conversation starter. You could tune the guitar to various open tunings or specific chords and let your guests guess.

Is that open G? Is that an F♯m7?

With sufficient adult beverages or herbal refreshment it could guarantee lively dialogue. Of course, sooner or later someone would unhook the guitar to demonstrate his/her guitar proficiency, which could end the party early - especially if the someone was you?

Just thinkin'.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But is it really a "door bell?"

I thought the purpose of a door bell was to announce your presence on the outside of the door so someone from inside would be alerted and come open the door for you.

Citation: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/doorbell

Since this works by opening the door it is a Shop Keepers "Bell", or an Entrance, or Entry "Bell". A Door Bell it's not!

jcwu

Reaction score

walrus

I would buy one and install those robo-tuners on it, and have them set to do different tunings at different times of day.

Genius!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have very little use for a doorbell these days anyway. If anyone is coming, they usually just call me, or sometimes ring the doorbell. If I'm not expecting anyone, I don't even answer the door. Does anyone still do that?? :stupid: