Hurricane Matthew

ladytexan

Reaction score
To all the LTGers who are making preparations for Matthew, prayers and good thoughts going your way. Keep us posted, if/when you can. We sure want to know everyone is OK.

geoguy

Reaction score
Yep, best wishes for riding out that storm.

Thankfully, it looks like it'll miss New England.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'll be boarding up in the morning and probably will bug out to my sister's place in Gainesville soon after that. I was considering hunkering down and riding it out but it sure looks like this is going to be a bad one. I'll try to stay in touch.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Good luck Dave and everyone else down there. We're lucky up here in NW Fla, the weather all week and weekend is supposed to be beautiful. I've lived through more hurricanes than I care to remember, they're no fun. Godspeed my friends.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Best of luck to you Dave and every one else who is going to be effected by the storm. I have ridden out more than my fair share as well growing up on the Gulf Coast. Stay safe and be smart about staying ahead of it.

TX

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I also grew up on the Gulf Coast and my first hurricane was Audrey, in June of 1957. The effects of that one are still talked about today in southwest Louisiana.
I'm currently as far away from hurricane country as I can be so I send best wishes to all who might be affected. These big storms can be life changers.
:concern:

Be safe,
Joe

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
These big storms can be life changers.
:concern:
Be safe,
Joe

Purely for the "small wonders and happy endings" angle, I remember Marcellis' story about finding his D25 still intact (on his porch "IIRC"), after Katrina. Seems to me he also thought it was an irony that looters took a Gibson electric (was it an SG?), and passed by the '25, obviously thinking the Gibson was more valuable.
It wasn't to him, at least, and he had the last laugh.
:encouragement:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes, everyone take care down there - this storm looks like a whopper...

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is supposed to hit east coast of FLA as a CAT 4 or even 5. Highest winds since 1898.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Weird, Andrew was a cat 5, hit Miami, Hugo was a 4 or 5, hit the Carolinas. There have been plenty of 4's and 5's since 1898
I heard similar report on news this am that Miami had never experienced winds of forecasted potential magnitude, like 150 mph.
But, now that I think about it, I hear inaccurate stuff on TV news all the time, sooo....???
Wondering if maybe Andrew was at lower magnitude when it hit?
Matthew was being re-estimated up and down like every 5 minutes when I heard the am news.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Yeah Al, I have a strict no Weather Channel or national weather news policy at my house. Fear mongering and out and out BS seem to be their mode of operation. And don't get me started on that DB Cantori, I've seen first hand what a jerk he can be.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah Al, I have a strict no Weather Channel or national weather news policy at my house. Fear mongering and out and out BS seem to be their mode of operation. And don't get me started on that DB Cantori, I've seen first hand what a jerk he can be.
Gotta admit I actually like the Weather Channel, but this was just the local guys covering the national topics.
On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday it was "Prepare for the Big One" out here though, after a 140 minor quakes hit in the Salton Sea next to the San Andreas fault in southern Ca , about 120 mi east of LA, in a week.
So far, no joy.
Oh "DOH:"< I just saw where you're posting from.
I guess the locals oughta know, even if "local" is all the way at the other end of the state from Miami..... (insert sheepish grin emoticon here)

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well.... now that the stress has let up a bit, I will give you an update from Jupiter, which is currently about 60 miles West of Matthew's eye, and I am happy to report no damage so far, keeping in mind that it is going to be a long night of wind gusts and horizontal rain.
A bunch of transformers have already blown up and there is about 35000 folks out of power, but I lucked out so far and can still watch the updates on TV and with the A/C.....
As the chances of hurricane force winds are decreasing for Palm Beach county thanks to the northern path of the beast, they are unfortunately getting more threatening for the counties North of us and the Space Coast where our friend Dave resides.
Wishing him and everyone in North Florida the best of luck, and hoping I keep mine as is, but not out of the woods yet.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Only one thing to say now: We dodged a bullet.
That thing was really a strong cat4.
When I typed the previous post above and was 60 miles away from the eye and its 145mph wind, the only reason it was 60 miles away is a slight wobble to the West that happened just before hitting the Bahamas, (which was bad news for the Bahamas as it was forecast to squeeze just South West of the island) and that kept this nasty eye over the ocean until now, instead of landing in P.B. county where it was aimed originally, and devastating the coastline....
Big sight of relief here as I took a walk outside and saw nothing but leaves on the ground.
I see footage of the storm now from Daytona, and they are apparently getting hit with harder winds up there, but thankfully it is now starting to lose strength, but still a dangerous cat3.
Oh and it's coming back in South Florida for round 2 btw.... but we hope it will only be rain by then (Monday or Tuesday).
Ok time for some cereal and coffee now before taking a ride in the neigborhood and see how folks around have fared around us.