next Oxnard model announced ...

merlin6666

Reaction score
I'm on the Guild mailing list and just got this:

Exclusive Guild Insider Tip: The D-40 Traditional, an homage to the historic Guild D-40 of the 1960s featuring gloss nitro finish, tortoiseshell binding, inlaid Chesterfield logo, and dovetail neck joint, is coming up next.

On the website it says that this is expected in 2017 ....

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Cool.

Interesting about the "dovetail neck joint" comment. Does that imply that a different neck joint was used for the F-20/D-20, etc. models that have been available thus far?

Nice to see them confirm that nitrocellulose is coming back.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Quick random veer:

..."trying to make a dove-tail joint"... John Lennon, "Glass Onion"

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting about the "dovetail neck joint" comment. Does that imply that a different neck joint was used for the F-20/D-20, etc. models that have been available thus far?
Honestly. That's like throwing out random stuff that .... is a given? Since I've not seen the promo (anyone have a link?) I suppose there's a lot of stuff you could "throw out" to fill up the paragraph..... you know?? LOL!!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Right, Rick. They list a satin varnish for the current (non-Traditional, apparently) model and now NCL for the Traditional model.

It's a little bit confusing, for sure. I'm interested in the neck joint that they're using on the non-Traditional model. My read from that verbiage is that it's not a dovetail joint at the neck. So what is it? Anyone wanna' cut up a new D-40?

(I'm joking, really).

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Right, Rick. They list a satin varnish for the current (non-Traditional, apparently) model and now NCL for the Traditional model.

It's a little bit confusing, for sure. I'm interested in the neck joint that they're using on the non-Traditional model. My read from that verbiage is that it's not a dovetail joint at the neck. So what is it? Anyone wanna' cut up a new D-40?

(I'm joking, really).

Maybe that is why they have a thin wooden serial number plate covering the bottom of the neck block on the D20/M20's instead of an actual serial number label? I am wondering if they are going to use Adirondack or Sitka for the top on the "Traditional" D40 and also if the are going to use Adirondack or Sitka for the Bracing? They didn't really clarify that in the press release. At least we know that Nitro is going to make it's way back into the fold.

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Could be, TX. I'm not going to guess, though. By all accounts those early instruments are nicely built and sound good. Eventually someone will have a look at the neck and report about it.

I'm crossing my fingers that this Traditional series D-40 is Guild perfection.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Could be, TX. I'm not going to guess, though. By all accounts those early instruments are nicely built and sound good. Eventually someone will have a look at the neck and report about it.

I'm crossing my fingers that this Traditional series D-40 is Guild perfection.

Before anyone reads this I want to make the point that this is just something I am curious about and in no way am I a Luthier by any means. This is just something that caught my attention after the latest Guild email.

The only reason I am curious about the Serial number plate on the D20/M20's is from the picture Guild sent in this latest email/ press release. The picture at the top of the advertisement is of a Guild worker holding a body form for what appears to be a M20 shaped guitar with the outer rim, Tail Block, and Neck Block assembly clamped into place. If you look at the Neck Block at the top of the form it is clearly "Bolted" through the Rim into the form with 2 Countersunk anchor bolts that are slightly protruding through the top of the guitar rim itself. The serial plate covers up this area on the finished guitar so there is no way of telling if the neck is a hybrid bolted version or if these holes are used for wood dowels to properly align the neck placement, or possibly just left open. The only reason I even noticed it was their specific mention of a Dovetail Neck Joint in the New Traditional D40. Once again I am not knocking the Quality of the early Oxnard Made Guilds, Just curious about the neck joint construction and why they would specify the "Dovetail" neck joint on upcoming guitars. The Guild site does not list the type of neck joint in the "Specs" area of the D20/M20 pages on their website. Here is the photo I am referring to.

2f907794-c678-4069-acaf-3ac64bc8b27f.jpg

TX

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice catch, TX. I think you're right. That's pretty strong evidence of a bolt-on neck. Interesting that they didn't mention that.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know... and hesitate to speculate re: the neck joint. But considering that no other clamps are apparent at the neck block and tail block, I wouldn't be surprised if the screws apparent were serving both as clamps and to properly align the neck block (note the aluminum jig in the form at the neck block). I wouldn't be surprised if there was also a screw/bolt thru the tail block to clamp it into the form... of course, this could be disguised later by the hole for the end pin.

In watching videos of neck construction and fingerboard attachment (from the New Hartford plant?) some time ago, I was surprised at the number of times/places dowels and holes were used for proper alignment... IIRC, sometimes the dowels were left in place... sometimes they were just part of the jig, and held the part in the correct alignment (presumably left "empty" after final assembly).

I would expect that Guild-Cordoba would be willing to share the neck construction details with repair techs in the field, who might be expected to reset necks...

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice catch, TX. I think you're right. That's pretty strong evidence of a bolt-on neck. Interesting that they didn't mention that.

Like I said, I'm not saying that it is or isn't a bolt on neck joint, Just an Observation from the photo.

TX

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
In watching videos of neck construction and fingerboard attachment (from the New Hartford plant?) some time ago, I was surprised at the number of times/places dowels and holes were used for proper alignment... IIRC, sometimes the dowels were left in place... sometimes they were just part of the jig, and held the part in the correct alignment (presumably left "empty" after final assembly).

Ren utilized dowels & holes for alignment at Gibson, and it's probably a pretty sure bet that Oxnard is doing this as well.

Re the type of neck joint construction utilized, it is not mentioned in the specs on Guild's website for the D-20 & M-20.

DThomasC

Reaction score
I don't want to start a religious debate or anything, but I've owned more than a few vintage instruments that would have been improved by a neck reset, but didn't get them because it's just too costly and, well, invasive. I really believe that a well done bolt-on is a good thing; it's an advancement in technology when implemented properly.

Imagine if we were constructed with knee and hip joints that could be swapped out in just a few minutes at the doctor's office.