Explosive NGD!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Doing my rounds of the various sites, I found this Detonator languishing on the MusicGoRound site. Its teal finish drew me to it, despite the 80s whammy, and when they lowered the price even more, I just had to bite. Dimarzio pups in an S-S-H configuration, which I'm coming to really like. It avoids the all-too ice-picky sound of the normal Strat bridge pup with the rounder humbucker lead sound. The switching is wired humbucker-humbucker phase-middle single coil-middle and neck single coils-neck single coil, so there are plenty of options to choose from. A Kahler trem which, who knows, maybe I'll use some day; it seems to stay in tune well. Sperzel locking tuners and, most importantly, a 1-5/8" nut. It makes me want to play it all day.
Hans has confirmed that it's an '88 (despite the normal dating charts. We know who we're going to trust! Now, if we can only get Vol. II!) It has one paint chip at the bottom front, near the end pin, and some headstock finish blems. Other than that, its darn near mint (although the original hard case had some wear on it). Definitely happy with this one! These can be had for not much $$, less than an import most times. You should grab one!

P1040486_zpsjcttq1e8.jpg

P1040493_zpsppyc77is.jpg

P1040480_zps2btc37pa.jpg

P1040478_zpsmriffbij.jpg

P1040481_zpsynzttk1r.jpg

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice pick up Acorn! That is a good looking Detonator! I know that Guilds in General "fly under the radar" to folks who haven't ever played one before but I feel the 80's Solid Body "Super Strat" style guitars are by far one of the best kept secrets in the world of electric guitars. I have a 1984 Aviator with the same SSH pickup configuration and it is by far the best 80's electric I have ever owned. The quality is equal to if not above the other big name manufacturers and often times you can find a pristine example that plays like new for under $600. That is a beautiful color on your Detonator and I am quite positive there will be some 80's Rock oozing out of that thing for years to come. Congrats Man, Awesome Axe! Don't flash too many pics of it around, Peoples spandex outfits might start making a comeback along with rabid cans of Aqua Net Hairspray, LOL!

TX

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Super cool! Love the color, too.

Lately in my strolls through music stores, I've had the urge to pick up an inexpensive "shredder," just for the heck of it. In my teens, I went through a phase of trying to learn EVH, Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads, and Kirk Hammet licks, but I've mostly been checking out Ibanezes.

You've inspired me!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Acorn,

Now that I'm looking at these pictures, I tend to lean towards 'metallic blue' for the finish color, which was available during that time as well.

The Kahler vibrato unit is somewhat rare on the Detonator. It's missing the string clamp, but it should not be all that hard to find.

Nice looking guitar!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been waiting for this one to show up, Chris!! Thanks for the sneak preview!! You know how I am about the BLUE ones!! Congrats!! :encouragement:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Lately in my strolls through music stores, I've had the urge to pick up an inexpensive "shredder," just for the heck of it. In my teens, I went through a phase of trying to learn EVH, Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads, and Kirk Hammet licks, but I've mostly been checking out Ibanezes.

You've inspired me!
That's the thing; these get labeled as "shredder" guitars, so if you're not a shredder, which I am definitely not, you walk by them. But, at the end of the day, they are just good guitars, good for whatever you want to play on an electric solidbody.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been waiting for this one to show up, Chris!! Thanks for the sneak preview!! You know how I am about the BLUE ones!! Congrats!! :encouragement:
I'll give you right of refusal if I ever decide to sell Tom.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Kahler vibrato unit is somewhat rare on the Detonator. It's missing the string clamp, but it should not be all that hard to find.

Nice looking guitar!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl
Does this model of Kahler take a string clamp? I can't see any holes where it's missing, and no extra holes at the nut. I'm not a trem guy, so I don't have experience with these, I just don't see where it could go.

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Does this model of Kahler take a string clamp? I can't see any holes where it's missing, and no extra holes at the nut. I'm not a trem guy, so I don't have experience with these, I just don't see where it could go.

Sorry, what I wrote did not came out the way I intended!

Yes, that type of Kahler does need a string clamp; that's why it has the fine tuners. But like I said, the Kahler vibrato was not the regular unit for the Detonator from this particular period. The ABM-vibrato was the regular one and that did not come with a string clamp, so this setup is somewhat weird.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
SCORE !

Sometimes, I think that if the color or style is " out of fashion " you can get a better deal. Personally, I like the color of that one, and it doesn't look as dangerous as some of the 80s Guilds.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's the thing; these get labeled as "shredder" guitars, so if you're not a shredder, which I am definitely not, you walk by them. But, at the end of the day, they are just good guitars, good for whatever you want to play on an electric solidbody.
I see them as the exotic sports cars of guitars. They're made to play smooth and fast, and just like sports car engines, the pickups are usually super hot. You're right, though. It doesn't mean it can't be used to whip off country or fusion licks.

Yes, that type of Kahler does need a string clamp; that's why it has the fine tuners. But like I said, the Kahler vibrato was not the regular unit for the Detonator from this particular period. The ABM-vibrato was the regular one and that did not come with a string clamp, so this setup is somewhat weird.
Maybe since it has the Sperzel locking tuners, it didn't need to the string clamp. I recall other super Strats set up like this.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

You've inspired me!

The 80s was my time.

Do yourself a favor and stop looking at Ibanezes. Take a look at Jacksons and Charvels if you want a shredder (and can't find a Guild). :) Especially the import models if you're looking for a bargain. A Japanese Jackson can be a fabulous guitar for half of what the US models go for, and some of them rival the quality of the US models.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I see them as the exotic sports cars of guitars. They're made to play smooth and fast, and just like sports car engines, the pickups are usually super hot.
I haven't found these to be super hot, though. Actually, all of the assumed super hot pups I've come across in my 80s Guilds (XR -7s in my S-275, EMGs in my T-250, and these Dimarzios) aren't of the super hot variety. In a clean amp, they are nice and clean, no inherent distortion.
I'm happily impressed.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I haven't found these to be super hot, though. Actually, all of the assumed super hot pups I've come across in my 80s Guilds (XR -7s in my S-275, EMGs in my T-250, and these Dimarzios) aren't of the super hot variety. In a clean amp, they are nice and clean, no inherent distortion.
I'm happily impressed.

My Aviator has the original EMG's in it and it has great clean tones. Also does Blues and Country just as well as Rock and Metal. These 80's Guild solid bodies are extremely versatile guitars. That is one of the things that is so impressive about them, especially at their price point!

TX

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry, what I wrote did not came out the way I intended!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Just for the record, here's my Detonator with what I would think is the vibrato Hans is referring to as the standard.

100_6353.jpg

I bought this NOS from a music store for $199 during a blow-out sale!

I believe the color is "Heather"

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
The 80s was my time.

Do yourself a favor and stop looking at Ibanezes. Take a look at Jacksons and Charvels if you want a shredder (and can't find a Guild). :) Especially the import models if you're looking for a bargain. A Japanese Jackson can be a fabulous guitar for half of what the US models go for, and some of them rival the quality of the US models.
Good advice, GAD. Honestly, I am checking them out too, and I'm also trying ESPs and Schecters. I'm actually taking a different tack with this hunt. I'm not at all researching model hierarchies. Of course, my seasoned eye can't avoid checking out appointments, materials, woods, and quality hardware, but I'm simply picking up each axe and playing it to test my gut reaction. It's like being a child again -- very fun! Just trying to make a true connection.

I'm happily impressed.
Nice to know! I guess I have false impressions about many super strats, and I'm even more intrigued now. The last DiMarzios I played were from the HS series -- humbuckers I had in my rock-heavy '76 Strat. They were amazing pickups!