D-100 vs D-55

AURUM

Reaction score
Is there any sonic differences between these two models? Or is it purely a matter of the D-100 having more 'bling'? I would assume the D-100 might have received a greater amount of attention during the build stage, resulting in a better quality guitar. Can any owners of both guitars comment on any significant audible differences between the two?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Plenty of D55 owners here. D100's not so much. They didn't make a whole lot of those and of those that are owned here finding someone with both may be a little difficult. I'll wait and see what response you get......

I'd guess both top of the line rosewood dreads with different appointments. Any sonic difference may be due to general guitar individuality and not anything inherent to the two different models, but I could be wrong. Let's see.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I do have both models. My fave is the D 100 maybe primarily because it has very tasteful bling and the carved neck is really something special. That being said, I do have a couple D 55's. The 50th anniversary model doesn't get played much but I have a player grade D 55 I play the hell out of. It's really fine guitar as well. If I had to vote, I'd go with the D 100. (might just be my way of trying to rationalize the price difference)

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Former owner of both. I think the D100 has a more detailed and refined sound. The D55 is big and bold, the D100 blooms for lack of any other word of which I can think right now.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This answer to your question is more complicated than one might think for what seems a simple question...

I would expect that, with some caveats, construction of the D-100 is very similar to that of D-55s from the same year. It's not in my notes, and I don't have my copy of Beesley's book here, but I think that the D-100 was introduced with scalloped bracing (in '89 or 90). The D-55 didn't get scalloped bracing until ~'91... So an early D-100 might have scalloped bracing while a same-year D-55 might not.

There might have been (probably was) more care in selecting woods used in limited edition models like the D-100 and DV-7X series, and catalogs suggested that extra care might have been taken in thicknessing/sanding the tops of limited edition models (particularly in reference to the DV-7X series). However, it is my understanding that wood grading and selection is based on cosmetics... grain count, etc., and cosmetic grading doesn't always correspond with tonal characteristics. Moreover... cosmetic grading is very subjective.

I have never played a D-100, but currently own three limited edition Guild dreadnaughts made during the same time period as the D-100: two 1994 DV-72s (one malachite and one turquoise; ~250 made) and a 1995 DV-73 (~50 made). I also owned a 1992 D-55 and a 1976 D-50. Based on my experience, I agree with Tom, and would expect considerable overlap in the tonal characteristics of D-100s and D-55s, with as much variation within a model as there is between models.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The D100 sounds almost twice as good as the D55.

Well, someone's got to say it..

The truth is Guild actually had a "Bling Dial" for acoustic guitars, much like a thermometer, on the wall of the Westerly plant.
Management would set the dial at an appropriate number for whatever guitars were about to hit the line on a given day.
One day in the late '60's it broke and the only replacements available went to 100.
At first they were wary about going too far but did turn it up to 55.
Later they threw all caution to the wind, going up to 60, 70, even 80, before finally maxing it out.
Thus was born a new level of bling at Westerly.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I have played a JF-100 and several F-50R or JF-55 Guilds.
They all had their own voice.
Which one was best?
That totally depends on the person listening to them.
Which one sounded best to me?
An older Westerly F-50R.
The JF-100 was second.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm right there with you although I'd say I'd give a slight edge to my JF 100 NAT CRV. I also have and love a F 50R but mine came out of the Tacoma plant and I would say it's one of my all-time favorite Guilds for sure. I'd put it right there with any Gibson, Martin or Taylor I've ever played.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well I'll throw my theory out there. Like Dave, I'll have to let my experience with my DV72 and DV73, and the 3 D55's I've owned lead me to an assumption. Since I don't own a D100 and have played a few, I do know a little about the model, I think structurally the D55 and the D100 are about the same guitar. Where I may differ from some is that knowing these limited rosewood models had attention given to bling and detail, my theory is that the attention to detail went into wood selection as well, along with possibly wood thickness. Generally, I think it's very possible you might experience subtle difference in tone and/or playability.

There's no doubt that these limited edition rosewoods are beautiful guitars, but I am of the school that thinks fabulous tone may very well accompany the stunning beauty.

West

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Where I may differ from some is that knowing these limited rosewood models had attention given to bling and detail, my theory is that the attention to detail went into wood selection as well, along with possibly wood thickness.
From whichever catalog Westerlyguildguitars lifted this phrase from (the spec sheet's undated):

"These instruments are made of our most select AAA spruce and finest rosewood".

And a new photo besides, quoting it as a Custom Shop model, so I'd say for post-'96 examples your theory was actually Custom Shop standard procedure:
d100-george.JPG

Remember Westerly's standard-production DV's became the foundation of the Custom Shop models, and they did sand backs and sides and selected necks for lightness and strength too, although they didn't actually specify sanding tops in the catalog I have.
I know we've wondered if they sanded tops on DV's before, I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't actually sand down tops too, at least in the Custom Shop.
What's interesting about that photo is that the volume/ tone knobs are old-style, by the time the actual "Custom Shop" was announced in late '96 Guild Gallery #1, they were already using the Fishman side-mounted flat panel.
Makes me wonder what the actual year of that '100 is... maybe they took a little "literary license" calling it a "Custom Sop D100", or he simply wanted the old-school style knobs?
And check out that fretboard......

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well I'll throw my theory out there. Like Dave, I'll have to let my experience with my DV72 and DV73, and the 3 D55's I've owned lead me to an assumption. Since I don't own a D100 and have played a few, I do know a little about the model, I think structurally the D55 and the D100 are about the same guitar. Where I may differ from some is that knowing these limited rosewood models had attention given to bling and detail, my theory is that the attention to detail went into wood selection as well, along with possibly wood thickness. Generally, I think it's very possible you might experience subtle difference in tone and/or playability.

There's no doubt that these limited edition rosewoods are beautiful guitars, but I am of the school that thinks fabulous tone may very well accompany the stunning beauty.

West
Hi Jim! Great to hear from you.

I wonder if the difference in bracing is what's drawing the line for you guys (if there was any, that is). I have found among the Martin models that bracing type and especially position is perhaps even more important to the sound than the quality of the underlying tonewoods. Hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know I've told this story before but maybe it bears repeating. Maybe. I walked into Guitar Center one day and saw two Martin D-42's sitting side by side on the wall. I checked the label and serial numbers and they were sequential. Both beautiful, made at the same time by the same people and both just coming from the factory so I assume strings were the same type and age. I grabbed the first one and strummed it and OH MY GOD!! The clouds parted, the sun came shining through and the angels sang!! One of the most beautiful sounding guitars I've ever held. Ever. If I'd had the budget and was in the market for a guitar at that time, it would have come home with me. Honestly. So after being overwhelmed for a while, I cranked down my enthusiasm and then grabbed the identical other D-42. Comparatively, it sounded like it had a pillow stuffed in it. Dull and lifeless. Not sure if it was just by comparison, but the difference was shocking!! I rechecked the serial numbers and .... picked up the first one again. The difference in those two guitars demonstrated to me perfectly the difference of individual tone and sonic quality better than anything.

Which is why people's impressions of differences in sound are always going to vary depending on the individual guitar, even the same exact model. So if you're choosing based on looks, it's down to do you like more or less bling? If you have them both in front of you to play then, lucky you to have the opportunity. And beyond that it's a generalization based on similar type guitars.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I know I've told this story before but maybe it bears repeating. Maybe. I walked into Guitar Center one day and saw two Martin D-42's sitting side by side on the wall. I checked the label and serial numbers and they were sequential. Both beautiful, made at the same time by the same people and both just coming from the factory so I assume strings were the same type and age. I grabbed the first one and strummed it and OH MY GOD!! The clouds parted, the sun came shining through and the angels sang!! One of the most beautiful sounding guitars I've ever held. Ever. If I'd had the budget and was in the market for a guitar at that time, it would have come home with me. Honestly. So after being overwhelmed for a while, I cranked down my enthusiasm and then grabbed the identical other D-42. Comparatively, it sounded like it had a pillow stuffed in it. Dull and lifeless. Not sure if it was just by comparison, but the difference was shocking!! I rechecked the serial numbers and .... picked up the first one again. The difference in those two guitars demonstrated to me perfectly the difference of individual tone and sonic quality better than anything.

Which is why people's impressions of differences in sound are always going to vary depending on the individual guitar, even the same exact model. So if you're choosing based on looks, it's down to do you like more or less bling? If you have them both in front of you to play then, lucky you to have the opportunity. And beyond that it's a generalization based on similar type guitars.

Yup very true , that's one the issues with mass produced . The custom shop should have much better control . It's also one reason why custom builders get so much buckage tap tuning the tops as the carve a way the bracing fine tuning .

Many luthiers have said though the wood comes from the same tree a top from the 3 ft mark could sound awesome and ring like a bell but the top from the 10ft mark of the trunk can sound like poo poo.

If your lucky to have lots of shops to visit the joinery to good guitar could be fun ... mail order not so much lol

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
d100-george.JPG

What's interesting about that photo is that the volume/ tone knobs are old-style, by the time the actual "Custom Shop" was announced in late '96 Guild Gallery #1, they were already using the Fishman side-mounted flat panel.

Yes, but even though it was the earlier design, it was often chosen by people who liked it, so it stayed in the catalog as one of the various options.

Makes me wonder what the actual year of that '100 is... maybe they took a little "literary license" calling it a "Custom Sop D100", or he simply wanted the old-school style knobs? And check out that fretboard......

That particular D-100 was actually done in the Nashville Custom Shop in 1998.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
Individual voice is everything. I own a D100, but not a D55. I've heard a couple of D55's that sounded better than my D100. Throwing a new bone nut, saddle, and setup at it, from one of the best luthiers in Southern California, didn't make a ton of difference. It's my most valuable guitar, but not the best sounding one.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Individual voice is everything. I own a D100, but not a D55. I've heard a couple of D55's that sounded better than my D100. Throwing a new bone nut, saddle, and setup at it, from one of the best luthiers in Southern California, didn't make a ton of difference. It's my most valuable guitar, but not the best sounding one.

As is most always true, we all hear things a bit differently and not all D 100's (or any model for that matter) are created equal. I do have a fair amount of pretty nice pieces and I'd put my D 100 up with any of them. Not to take anything away from a D 55 though because I think they are superb as well but to tell you the truth,I find the D 50 to be a better sounding Guild than the D 55.

Sorry for the severe veer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marcellis

Reaction score
I do have both models. My fave is the D 100 maybe primarily because it has very tasteful bling and the carved neck is really something special. That being said, I do have a couple D 55's. The 50th anniversary model doesn't get played much but I have a player grade D 55 I play the hell out of. It's really fine guitar as well. If I had to vote, I'd go with the D 100. (might just be my way of trying to rationalize the price difference)

They both have the wide 'boat paddle' headstocks as opposed to Kim Walker's more slender 'snakehead' stock that my D-60 and F-65ce sport.