Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NGD: A foray into Acoustic-ville

Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    HOLY CRAP, Dave!! You've got a $hit ton of break angle on that thing!! Should be driving the hell out of the sound board. Glad you've resurrected this beautiful old Martin!! The only thing I don't care for is the bright white strap button..... I think a nice brushed or antique nickel finish would've been better but, that's just a personal taste thing. Congrats on resurrecting this beautiful guitar!!!
    Soundboard…yep! It's a loud 'un. And the action is still nice & easy. I'm just thrilled with it.

The upper strap button is still the one it came with. Though originally I don't think it would've had a button at all. Looking at it last night I was thinking black would be a nice color. :)

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 Thunderbird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

Gotcha, Dave. I can't see in the original photo because of the angle. Black sounds like a great idea.
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Strummer View Post
    Soundboard…yep! It's a loud 'un. And the action is still nice & easy. I'm just thrilled with it.
    Sweet! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Strummer View Post
    The upper strap button is still the one it came with. Though originally I don't think it would've had a button at all.
    I suspect you're right, but it does match the tuning pegs, which is a touch of class in my book.
    Kinda like making sure you don't wear a brown belt with black shoes.
    If you're into leather, that is.
    Tom?
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    fantastic! got a sound clip?
    i wonder the tonal difference between an old F20 and this martin...
    No clips at the moment, though that could change.

This 0-15 is very close in size to my F-20. They both have a focused small but loud sound. I'd say the Guild is a more dynamic guitar when played gently, as when fingerpicking, with more high-end harmonic stuff happening. Spruce top & all. But it doesn't particularly like to be pushed. The Martin is more of an all-rounder. You can see from the lower wear pattern that someone strummed it a lot. Yet there's also an upper wear pattern—above the soundhole and less visible—due to someone's fingers rubbing on the top, almost surely while fingerpicking. I wonder if it's all from the same person or from two (or even more) people? Part of the fun with an old & well-used instrument comes from speculating about details of its history you'll likely never learn.

Judging by the M-20s I've played I'd say they're very much in the same ballpark as this Martin. Great all-rounders.

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    I suspect you're right, but it does match the tuning pegs, which is a touch of class in my book.
    Kinda like making sure you don't wear a brown belt with black shoes.
    :) The button matches the lower butt-end one too, color-wise. That's gotta count for something! Maybe I'll leave it be…

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat

c. 1971 Foxey Lady