1973 Guild JS II fretless Bass

Reaction score
Hi I need some help getting a reasonable price for my Bass. I have no idea what the history is, but it seems all original minus the bridge, which looks brand new. It's natural finish.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Pics would be interesting. It is my sincere hope that I could get over $1000 for my '72 JS II but that is not realistic unless there is someone who will prize the outstanding condition and the fact that as the original owner I can tell the story behind any "mojo".

I don't recall much interest in fretless. That reduces the number of potential buyers but I am not sure it effects value much either way. I would lower my expectations because of a replacement bridge but that is because I know how to adjust that bridge and so originality is more important than convenience.

All that, it would probably move at $500 but if you are not desperate you could probably hold out for $800. Those numbers assume an original hard shell case.

Reaction score
Yes i have the original case. It's the natural finish as well, but apparently the pickups look like they've been replaced.

I have some pictures however I cannot figure out how to attach it to the post.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
How to post pictures.

b8JVx84Zzm7oZCpwihAHxj0fSk4j-3K0OXcDRA6fCGMcfODDlvq1xvVapeBm_Mhhj4JfrMbMDPB0TA=w7680-h4320-no

If your pickups look like those then they are original. Otherwise yours have been replaced, the 1973 date is wrong or you have a one of a kind bass :)

Reaction score
Yes, the pickups are definitely replaced.

jsII1_zpszyufuijg.jpg.html

These pictures should show you the real story because obviously I don't really know much :p thanks so much for your help.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
This isn't your problem, but mine and I have seen it before. My browser refuses to display the pictures. Would you, or someone with better luck, post a URL? Maybe I can sort out my settings problem.

FWIW the replacement bridge and pickups make this a player's bass which probably reduces my price estimates. Maybe someone else has an opinion?

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
jsII1_zpszyufuijg.jpg

OK. TRC appears to be missing, Knobs replaced. Bridge replaced. 99.44% sure the PUs have been swapped because that is not what I remember seeing if you just pull the covers. The toggle by the jack is not factory and the POU toggle switch has been replaced or had the tip changed.

Anyone who is interested because this is a Guild is probably going to pass. But if it plays and sounds well someone will cherish it.

grisezd

Reaction score
Not in any way original but quite a nice bass. My sort of thing. Let me know when you figure out a value or if you'd be interested in a trade for another shortie.

Reaction score
Oh well that's nice to know. I do cherish it, however, as a broke college student, a car is more important.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Agreed, definitely a Dimarzio Model One (DP120) or Will Power (DP145) in the bridge. Looks like that might be a Bill Lawrence humbucker in the neck position.
That added mini-toggle might be a coil tap for the one or both of the pickups; the Dimarzio has a 4-lead setup and I believe the Bill Lawrence pickups did as well.
Cool looking bass! Good luck with the sale