'63/64 Hagstrom Coronado IV and '65 Guild Jetstar:
20160911_170015.jpg

ukulelelab

Reaction score
I double-checked and both bridges are identical with same saddles / spacing
20160911_171004.jpg

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Sweet! I've always wanted one of the Coronados with the bisonics. Looks like a killer pair!

ukulelelab

Reaction score
btw does anyone know what connection existed between Guild and Hagstrom in the early-mid 60s? A few models shared similar designs (ie Hagstrom Viking / Guild starfire) with similar if not identical hardware.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I think it was that Mark Dronge was romantically linked with a Hagstrom daughter. And, yes - it's the same stuff for a while.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
btw does anyone know what connection existed between Guild and Hagstrom in the early-mid 60s? A few models shared similar designs (ie Hagstrom Viking / Guild starfire) with similar if not identical hardware.

It is well established that Hagstrom was the manufacturer of several parts used by Guild. I like mgod's answer as to how the relationship started ;-)

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
does anyone know what connection existed between Guild and Hagstrom in the early-mid 60s? A few models shared similar designs (ie Hagstrom Viking / Guild starfire) with similar if not identical hardware.

I think it was that Mark Dronge was romantically linked with a Hagstrom daughter. And, yes - it's the same stuff for a while.

It is well established that Hagstrom was the manufacturer of several parts used by Guild. I like mgod's answer as to how the relationship started

Hello folks,

Don't have time to go into this in detail, but what I can tell you is that Mark Dronge got involved ( and eventually married) a member of the Levin family, which is a completely different Swedish guitar manufacturer. Hagstrom was involved in the distribution of Guild guitars in Europe; they also had a chain of music stores in Sweden that were Guild dealers as well.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

ukulelelab

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I found the following post in the unofficial Martin forum:

"Al Dronge's son Mark (for a period President of Guild if I am not mistaken) went to Sweden to work in a Hagstrom store. In Sweden he met and married a granddaughter of Herman Carlson Levin, the sister of Goran Levin who was President of Levin throughout the sixties and seventies. As far as I know they are still married. Small world."