anyone switched pickups (instead of mini-humbucker)

Reaction score
I have a Guild Capri CE-100D with Mini Buckers (LB-1). Has anyone with a more or less similar guitar and/or pick-ups ever switched pickups? To which ones and what were you're findings? The ones I'm thinking about are Lollar Mini's and Lollar Firebirds...
Thanks for your input!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've had sets of both those Lollars (still have the FBs) and now have a T-bird with LB-1s. But no guitar I own has had all three. :) Judging by experience, though, the Lollar minis have more snarl than the LB-1s while the Firebirds are a little brighter & clearer. (The old "anti-hums" in my Bluesbird are in-between the new LB-1s and the FBs.)

-Dave-

Reaction score
Thanks for your input!
I use this guitar mostly clean, so I'd rather go with the FBs. Not sure how I feel about them being brighter... The main reason I bought this guitar is because it sounds so full, not sure how much that's caused by the pick-ups or the (rest of the) guitar. Do brighter pick-ups mean a loss of fullness...aaargh I hate using adjectives to describe a sound:p
I already feel people wanted to comment that I shouldn't change pick-ups if I like the guitar. The reason I'm considering Lollars is because I changed my strat and tele pickups to Lollars and I'm blown away! Being a single coil player most of the time I have a very hard time knowing how good the LB-1s (or any humbuckers for that matter) are so whether Lollars will be a significant upgrade...

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
To my ears, and given my previous caveat, neither Lollar model is better than the LB-1s. They all sound really good, but different to each other. Note too that you'd have to deal with size differences when swapping pickups…the Lollar models are interchangeable with each other but (I think, should check) smaller than the Guilds. You could enlarge the pickup routs to soapbar P90 size and use the appropriate surrounds, but this could be an issue if you then decide you like the LB-1s best.

-Dave-

laut

Reaction score
Don't know if you like filtertrons, but I was able to drop a TV Jones into the cavity on my 60s Starfire without having to rout. It's slightly wider than the mini-bucker, so I had to build a new pickup ring for it. I did so by created a silicon mold of the original ring, then cast a new ring using epoxy putty. In the end, the mod is completely reversible, leaving behind no evidence that the pickup was changed.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
I have a Guild Capri CE-100D with Mini Buckers (LB-1). Has anyone with a more or less similar guitar and/or pick-ups ever switched pickups? To which ones and what were you're findings? The ones I'm thinking about are Lollar Mini's and Lollar Firebirds...
Thanks for your input!

you can drop Dearmond Dynasonics in. This has been covered quite a lot. I did it in the bridge position. I've some experience with Firebird pickups but not in a Guild. However, i would say they are very compressed and midrangey. Think Neil Young's lead sound. I liked them for lead but not for much else. Things were getting too squashed to twang and I like twang.