Battle of the Guild S-100 Reissues

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's here! My many words in an effort to compare my two S-100 Reissues. Please do let me know if you find any errors or obvious mistakes. I wrote that the 1997 is lacquer, but I'm not so sure anymore, so I'd love a definitive answer. I think I emailed Hans. I've been traveling so much that I don't even know what time zone I'm in anymore.

I'm really not an expert on S-100s, so I look forward to the S-100 cognoscenti setting me straight where needed. Thanks! :stung:

Anyway, here's the link, and it's added to gadsguilds.com:

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2016/08/21/battle-of-the-guild-s-100-reissues/

GuildS1001990NewarkStreet1.jpg

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Good stuff. One thing to note: my '71 doesn't have a phase switch but I've never seen a '72 without one. So I imagine it was added at some point during '71.

I love what the phase switch on my '73 does with the neck pickup volume full up (9) and the bridge backed off to 8. Sounds uncannily like my Jazzmaster with both p'ups going and is my most-used config on this guitar. :)

-Dave-

Diggey

Reaction score
Good review. I've got a Newark model in my cross hairs. I'd love to know if they are veneered tops are you mentioned in your blog. Has anyone else looked/ studied? Thanks for the read.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think short of sawing one in half or removing some of the coating in the routes, only Guild can tell us. I find it hard to believe that anyone would veneer mahogany in a guitar, but what do I know?

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was surprised you mentioned you might be able to find them for about the same price. I don't think that is true of the other NS guitars and their counterparts.

Zelja

Reaction score
I measured the radius on my '96 a few weeks ago & got 20" as well. I was rather surprised but glad you came up with the same figure. I like the chunkiness & width of the necks compared to my 70s S-100s but have to admit the very flat radius takes some getting used to.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was surprised you mentioned you might be able to find them for about the same price. I don't think that is true of the other NS guitars and their counterparts.

You need to hunt a bit, but it can be done.

Part of the problem is what guitar you're trying to source. If you're looking for a 1973 S100 for $750, it's probably not going to happen. That's exactly what I paid for the 1997 in the article, though.

I may have a line on a NS Bluesbird for a similar price. You won't find a 1970s Bluesbird for that price unless its in pieces. :) A 1990s reissue? That's probably on the low side, but possible.

DThomasC

Reaction score
Last edited:

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Kudos on an outstanding piece. Having played both guitars it is also dead on accurate. The quibble would be the price issue. While 750.00 for a 90's S100 may be "possible", it certainly is not a "trending" price for that guitar. While I've only peripherally been in the market for an S100 there has never been an instance when the difference in cost has been insignificant to my budget. So, 90's reissue is admittedly a better guitar. But, if the choice is have, or, have not... advantage NS. Now, if I ever run across a 70's Nature Boy for $750.00 it will be safely mine before I share regarding its existence, here.

Great read. Keep them coming.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
The best deal on an S-100 right now is at guitar center north of San Diego. its a 95 or 96 for around 700 bucks. It's got damage consistent with being "chopped" into a stage, but otherwise looks decent enough.

Here's a link to two mid-90's versions for sale as of this post date: http://www.guitarcenter.com/search?Ns=r&Ntt=guild+S-100

Last edited:

guitarslinger

Reaction score
I'm always a bit leery of long distance purchases of guitars with the words "damage" and "but, otherwise" in the description. But, the point is well made that these guitars are out there and well worth a look.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm always a bit leery of long distance purchases of guitars with the words "damage" and "but, otherwise" in the description. But, the point is well made that these guitars are out there and well worth a look.

That's not the description, that's just what I wrote, so I recommend that anyone interested call up the store and ask. Further, Guitar Center still has a no-questions-asked return policy.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
As long as the wear is real, there is hardly anything prettier, to me it's art.

The fake relic-ing I can't stand, it doesn't look right, and usually way overdone as well.

I made up a word to describe it, a verb. I need to get it into Webster's.

Faging.

Fake aging.

"Yah man, like that Strat is totally faged"

And another one worthy of the English language I'm sure; Axeperience. How much "axeperience" do you have?. Although the connotation is more fitting to the electric guitars... Fine acoustic guitar I hardly consider "an axe", but a Tele on the other hand, you could virtually use as one... if you were man enough to swing it. I pretty much think mine is a deadly weapon, flamey ball bat neck, ash body, on the heavy side, definitely a lethal weapon.

I realized with this with my latest acoustic guitars and some of this summers's jams, I'm really so much more of an electric player, but with acoustic roots.

I think of myself as more of an "eclectic" player ;-)

Another one, Guitarbage, but I can't take credit...

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Fine acoustic guitar I hardly consider "an axe", but a Tele on the other hand, you could virtually use as one... if you were man enough to swing it. I pretty much think mine is a deadly weapon, flamey ball bat neck, ash body, on the heavy side, definitely a lethal weapon.

My ol' gal is a light one. Not a fighter but instead a lover. :) Comfy V neck. The original owner was not gentle to her, but those days are over.

34744E7C-FABF-4BBE-9662-F0F81AEE762E_zpspfbmwksj.jpg

1AE69CA0-4190-4D81-A114-404D6392F366_zpsgywzwwfc.jpg

-Dave-

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
As long as the wear is real, there is hardly anything prettier, to me it's art.

The fake relic-ing I can't stand, it doesn't look right, and usually way overdone as well.

I made up a word to describe it, a verb. I need to get it into Webster's.

Faging.

Fake aging.

"Yah man, like that Strat is totally faged"

And another one worthy of the English language I'm sure; Axeperience. How much "axeperience" do you have?. Although the connotation is more fitting to the electric guitars... Fine acoustic guitar I hardly consider "an axe", but a Tele on the other hand, you could virtually use as one... if you were man enough to swing it. I pretty much think mine is a deadly weapon, flamey ball bat neck, ash body, on the heavy side, definitely a lethal weapon.

I realized with this with my latest acoustic guitars and some of this summers's jams, I'm really so much more of an electric player, but with acoustic roots.

I think of myself as more of an "eclectic" player ;-)

Another one, Guitarbage, but I can't take credit...
"Faging", love it, I'm stealing that

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm really not an expert on S-100s, so I look forward to the S-100 cognoscenti setting me straight where needed. Thanks! :stung:
I can tell you one thing for sure:
According to Guild Gallery #1, Winter '97-'98, the S-100 Polara came with rosewood pickups.
:eek: