Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Engineering Declared Grumpiest Profession In The World

Sound Engineering Declared Grumpiest Profession In The World

Story here. This is not exactly news to me, and to support my claim I offer Exhibit A, seen at a recent gig:

Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602M, '10 F512NT,
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst) '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype

A sobering insight to the dirty underbelly of the business.
    I myself was wondering just the other night if I should have pursued a career in sound engineering which fascinated me as a teenager, I feel so much better now knowing I avoided becoming a grouch..
    so why the hell did you have to rub it in?
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    A sobering insight to the dirty underbelly of the business.
    I myself was wondering just the other night if I should have pursued a career in sound engineering which fascinated me as a teenager, I feel so much better now knowing I avoided becoming a grouch..
    so why the hell did you have to rub it in?
    True, but see how much nicer you turned out?
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602M, '10 F512NT,
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst) '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype

Quote Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
    True, but see how much nicer you turned out?
    It's all this place's fault.
    It does something to a guy.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

I seem to have the grumpy thing down.... now if I could master bitterness!! LMAO!! That's a great article Sandy. Made me chuckle!
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    I seem to have the grumpy thing down.... now if I could master bitterness!! LMAO!! That's a great article Sandy. Made me chuckle!
    They really are like that, too. I have a lot of respect for the good ones, but they can be real prima donnas...
    Sandy

I heard the worst mixing at a bowling alley and said something to the old drunk behind the board. Made some comment about me being a over protective dad. I said to him that I wasn't related to anyone in the band, I was just listening to them. If you do this for a living, why does the band sound like it was mixed by a deaf person?
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan
    "8 of 18", "19 of 22", "25 of 25" (and a couple of amps)

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders. "

Quote Originally Posted by Default View Post
    I heard the worst mixing at a bowling alley and said something to the old drunk behind the board. Made some comment about me being a over protective dad. I said to him that I wasn't related to anyone in the band, I was just listening to them. If you do this for a living, why does the band sound like it was mixed by a deaf person?
    It happens more than it should, no doubt.
    Sandy

Ahh, I dunno. I'm far grumpier now than whenever I did sound! My Indian name at my last company was "Storm Cloud"...
    '92 JF30-12, '89 D25 SB, '78 D50,'97 SF4, '63 CE-100D SB, '77 S-100, '72 S-100, '76 S-100 carved, '66 SFV SB, '96 S-100 DeLuxe,
    '55 X-50, '61 SFIII, '13 NS M75 , '13 Orpheum 12 Fret Dread,
    '13 Orpheum Jumbo

Most of the bad sound guys I know are Chemical Warriors. They love to watch all of the equipment lights go blinky-blink while they grind their teeth away.
    As a general rule:

1) Wedding band sound guys are afraid to turn it up.

2) Rock band sound guys will turn it up when you ask them to turn it down.

The only thing worse than bad sound guys are guitar players who destroy the mix by playing too loud:

3) One 50 watt Marshall head and a good 2x12 cabinet can obliterate the mix at an 800 seat event for at least 600 people.

4) I've seen 'real bikers' (not dentists/accountants/lawyers with Harleys) get chased out of a 'real biker bar' by a Super Reverb on 5 and a humbucker guitar.

[slight veer but involves sound guys]

On gigs with a sound guy who will mic the amps, I usually take a small Fender amp, either a 22 watt Deluxe Reverb or a 12 watt Princeton Reverb. I will also show up with an Auralex Isolation Riser, a ClearSonic 1'x 2' high, six-panel plexiglass shield and a ClearSonic Absorbing panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXPYGoZTeII

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRAMMAII

I put the Auralex riser on the floor, put the amp on top of it, encircle the amp with the six plexi shield panels and put the sound absorbing panel on top. It radically reduces the sound of the amp, both onstage and at Front of House.

Then I get the sound guy up on stage and show him my rig. I will then say, "Here's the deal. I'm not going to mess with your mix, am I? But, if I can't hear the amp in the monitor, I'm going to remove the top panel and my amp sound will get picked up by the vocal and drum mics, right? Plus, if my friends in the audience tell me they can't hear my guitar in the front of house mix, I'm going to take the plexiglass shield down. If they still can't hear me, I'm going to get my Vox AC 30 (a very loud amp) out of the car at the Break and play through it for the rest of the gig..... Do you think we can work together?"

So far, no sound guy has ever said, "No."
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp