Maverick Bass amp - worth modding?

Reaction score
Hello, first post here.

I just got a great deal on a "broken" Maverick Bass amp. All it needed was a new power cord. After a few minutes with the iron, it fired right up, runs quiet, plays loud, and sounds cool! As a nice bonus, I found a couple of strong Telefunken 12AX7's in there.

I'm a guitar player, and really don't have much use for a bass amp. Is it worth modifying to make it more guitar-friendly? Currently, I need to keep the tone switch in the up (treble) position, treble rolled all the way up, bass rolled mostly down, and volume pretty high in order to get a decent guitar sound.

I can't find a schematic for the lead (guitar) version, so I don't know how similar they are.

If it's not worth modding, I'll probably flip it, so I'll be happy either way. Any input is much-appreciated.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I wouldn't - those don't grow on trees y'know.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I need to keep the tone switch in the up (treble) position, treble rolled all the way up, bass rolled mostly down, and volume pretty high in order to get a decent guitar sound.

I can't find a schematic for the lead (guitar) version, so I don't know how similar they are.

Hi I have the guitar version and pretty much have the settings in the same postion you describe...except for the volume being "pretty high"...you may need a new speaker or new tubes or something, it should be relatively loud for what it is...and what it is, is essentially a good guitar amp stock, as opposed to bass. it does not have the tremolo, or reverb (using the reverb on the guitar mav makes it incredibly loud...) but if u can live without those features, and get it running clean, it should make for a wonderful guitar amp. I would certainly look into a new guitar speaker, but def not worth "modding" beyond that.

I don't imagine it is ideal for playing bass, but ive never tried. maybe for bedroom/practice.

welcome!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello, first post here.
Welcome aboard alange5!
Can't tell how familiar you are with the brand or the board so allow me to say both Mavuser and mgod know very well what they're talking about, especially mgod when it comes to bass gear.
He likes to keep a low profile around here but let's just say he's an accomplished session man with a recognizable name and has an enviable collection of Guild basses, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
If it's not worth modding, I'll probably flip it, so I'll be happy either way. Any input is much-appreciated.
Hopefully you found the right place for a flip!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
almost forgot also, i have the scematic if you want it. You will need to email me, check your personal messages on this forum.

and I am no Mgod! just sounds like your amp should be louder, and based on the fact that is was "broken" when you got it, i'd investigate further. no idea what speaker you should get, but you probably want a new one.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Given the comparative scarcity (although not necessarily value) I would advise fixing what needs to be fixed (if anything) but The World Will Be A Better Place if (assuming it doesn't "work" for you) if you don't mod it but flip it instead so you can get something closer to what you are looking for. It's not about "worth modding" as much as there may be someone else out there who would value it in its un-modded condition.