Chris Hillman Bass Question

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. The number 70 sticks in my head but I'm not sure why. My search-fu didn't find a better answer but maybe someone else will find it...

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome. The number 70 sticks in my head but I'm not sure why. My search-fu didn't find a better answer but maybe someone else will find it...

Frono is correct. Limited to 70 pieces.

They are looking nice. i say snag one!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I thought 70 to til I got this:

nice, congrats!! interesting on the discrepency in # produced. Could be a number of reasons they went past 70 but my guess is not by too many. you may have one of the last. just guessing of course...nice grab!!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
nice, congrats!! interesting on the discrepency in # produced. Could be a number of reasons they went past 70 but my guess is not by too many. you may have one of the last. just guessing of course...nice grab!!

I note that unlike other limited editions they do not say "x of y". The cynic wonders if that means they will make as many as they can sell. It also be that they made more than 70 but only 70 were released to the general public. In any event tell us about it. Is it really just a blinged out Newark Street Starfire I or is thre more to it? What drew you to this model?

Reaction score
A little history, I've been playing bass since 1976, I love hollowbodies and have several but this is my first Guild. So, I can't speak to the particulars compared to other Guilds. In addition to being a beautiful hollowbody, this one caught my eye due to the Byrds connection. I've always been a fan and in fact was a member of a Byrds tribute band a few years back. It was wonderful to play and sing those songs.
The bass arrived perfectly set-up for my tastes and just slightly out of tune. And, it came with flats so I didn't even need to swap out strings. The first bass I can recall buying new that came with flats since the 70s.
First gig since receiving the bass is this week. Can't wait.

marcellis

Reaction score
My next purchase might be a Guild bass. l like the Hillman a lot. I like all the Starfire II's in every color Guild offers. I'd love to get a two pick-up Aristocrat in black. Or even the one pick-up model caught my eye. And I like it in every color Guild offers - black. Guild Aristocrats should be black IMO, unless they're racing yellow.

My first choice though is an old 70's era Mosrite 350 mono bass. They're scarce but not pricey. 2d choice Starfire II in any color Guild offers. After that,a Chris Hillman. 4th choice -any Guild Starfire bass in any color.

Last edited:

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Hollowbody Bass,

Hope you've played it through something other than that MM Bass Amp. I have one on those (6V6 version) that I've used as a guitar practice amp (with a Weber speaker upgrade) and even then it was just so-so for guitar (kind of like a Silver Face Champ with a bigger speaker). Have tried my SF-I Bass through it as well (with the stock speaker [Oxford?] swapped back in) and it just doesn't even begin to do the bass justice. WAY too flat, boxy and one-dimensional. Might be OK for quiet, late-night practice in an apartment, but that's about it.

Sure wish they'd put out a 'Burst or Emerald Green Newark Street SF-II...

mikbass

Reaction score
Wow, love the bass, love the strap and absolutely crazy about that combo amp!

Reaction score
I just discovered these. Of course they are not made anymore. My bad luck. I am curious - how resonate are they when unplugged? Not sure if you have played the Epi Jack Casady or the Gretsch 5440L. I always like the hollow/semi hollow for plunking away without an amp when traveling. None are as loud as an acoustic guitar - but some do have enough volume. Other semi hollows have a tone block that pretty much makes them same as a solid body when unplugged.