Hi-Tone amps profile in Premier Guitar mag

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Nice profile of and interview with Clayton Callaway of Hi-Tone amps in the latest issue of Premier Guitar. Had a chance to talk Hiwatt with him when I ordered my "50" ~18 months ago. A friendly, knowledgeable guy who builds fantastic amps with meticulous attention to detail and authenticity as a labor of love.

Check it out:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24277-hi-tone-amplification-a-legacy-reborn

-Dave-

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Love my Hi-Tone! Excellent build quality, too. I would like to get a 15/30 too someday.

Hi-Tone%20HT50_zpsto3rbujw.jpg

gilded

Reaction score
I used to talk to Mark Huss a bit on the Plexi Palace. I've had 3 50 watts and 2 old cabs. The first 50 watt was wonderful, the second needed to be a bit louder than a jet engine at take-off to hit the sweet spot and the 3rd one was a gainy, two input monster! I miss the first amp a lot. A lot.

I read the article, they're making the cabinets differently now, with finger joints. I think my cabs were, uh, what's the word, suaged together, something like that?
I alway wondered what the difference would be.

I think I still have one old Fane in the garage.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The Plexi Palace forums were my intro to Hi-Tone, and to the details of various Hiwatts too. I also had a Custom 50, early '70s, that needed to be cranked to pant-leg-flapping levels before it would sing. But hey, that's how you're supposed to run 'em! :) Sold it, of course, due to sheer impracticality. My Hi-Tone has the optional variable voltage gizmo, letting me get a warmer & fuller sound at lower levels. When I'm using the amp as a pedal platform I run the output stage at full voltage. But I dial it back when I want to play the amp, as a musical instrument in its own right, as much as the guitar.

-Dave-

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've been playing through my Hi-Tone a lot lately, with the power stage voltages backed off via VVR for a more house- and hearing-friendly volume level. With the amp settings as shown in the photo below the tone is a lot like that of a Fender Super Reverb with its Vol at ~6 but with the loudness of a Deluxe Reverb with its Vol at ~4. (With Fender guitars I run the Normal channel volume up a notch and set Middle to Noon.) I can go even lower on the voltage reduction but then the power tubes get noticeably hotter and glow redder. Sonically this takes the amp into loud blackface Champ territory—a great sound—but when I spoke with Clayton he recommended against running it this way for long periods. It's impressive, though, how much the amp warms & loosens up with the VVR at ~11:00.

6CEBA4DF-B777-42E3-8AAE-5ECF884C8642_zpsegp9mepg.jpg

-Dave-