Typical NGD* day for me, What the H did I just buy... ;-/)~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
* A new guitar day for me is not always a good thing...

As Y'all know, well for one I don't do the NGD thing right, or I never have, it's not a big announcement, well, except for the D4-12 (still getting that pickguard on... Ahhh, it's so close, I can smell it!), but that was an introduction to the site, hell, I didn't even know what an NGD was, I just woulda figured it was something you didn't want to catch... Or maybe NGD really is a digitally transmitted Nasty GAStly Disease?

Either way, I didn't announce my last one properly, Cortez the Killer, but I have brought it up here and there, once or twice ;-)

This one, the subject of this post, came about an unusual way... My luthier neighbor, who's been working on my Washburn 12 I've mentioned once or twice also, has a 10 yr old who fairly recently got a copy Telecaster (unusual one, Suzuki branded) and he can play a little on it, but as he is starting to come over more often, wants me to pull up heavy metal videos on my computer... I started looking for a Strat Mini for him, I might give them in exchange for the work on the Washburn.

Dad said he didn't need it and he'd grow into the Tele, but the kid, and there's another who's eight (and they're both musically gifted, the whole family is musical, Dad guitar, mandolin, Mom violin, teaches, kids play piano amazing already) and so me and the kid we're looking for a Strat Mini, In black preferably, and I haven't found the right one yet, but this thing popped up yesterday morning, and after looking looking at it a little bit, I had to have it, but for me, not the kid, although, we'll have to see when I get it? But still, it's way too nice and vintage for a super rambunctious eight and ten year old kids.

I probably wouldn't even post this Newbie Guitar Disaster (yeah, right... ;-) if it wasn't for the fact that something is SERIOUSLY bugging me about this thing!

Right off I have to say that, look at the pics, it fairly drips with quality, and it's 80's vintage Japan if I remember right, I had the the yellow Flying V version ages ago and eBay-ed it, and I was impressed with the quality. This guitar is also a perfect "MiniMe" to my '74 OW Strat I've mentioned a time a two also.

It's a Stuntman "Mini" or travel guitar from back in the day. I remember there was a Les Paul like this for a while called a Chiquita, and they were pretty decent too. And, dang, a little research on those shows that they are now being owned/sold by Erlewine Guitars, which is saying a ton.

So, back to the Stuntman, it's drivin me nuts! Can't find out ANYTHING about 'em.

There's been a few for sale that have left traces on the net, but NO COMPANY HISTORY.

I'm fairly good at investigative stuff, but this one of those rare cases that's been a total dead end.

And the name, STUNTMAN, slghtly odd in a day of Japan guitars named; Antares, Alvarez, Cortez, Ibanez, Fernandes, etc...

Anyway, I'm interested to see how lame the guts are, and they may not be that bad (and easily changed otherwise, I already have everything to upgrade the electronics if need be, to some really nice stuff (worthy of a Strat of any caliber), but the husk should be a good one, headstock, nut, frets, tuners all look like good quality, quite good in fact. The bridge looks like a very good replica of a period Fender piece, remains to be seen what's behind the plate, it could even have a steel trem block?

I'm wondering if it will tune up kinda high on a set of .009's?

Dunno what the scale length is, but it should be in the mail, so no point asking.

Now, if I could just find the mini gigbag that went with these.

Here's is the actual guitar I bought, I love his question mark in the ad title...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stuntman-Mi...533521?hash=item5434d391d1:g:nIsAAOSw0fhXmQxT

And a cool video of a guy playing a mini LP that sounds like it's tuned up some. Don't be put off by the first few notes, it is NOT "that song" ;-) Wait a little, there's a few nice things he plays in there after the initial distorted part, starting at :036, pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XlLKbfiJL0

And then something small guitar related that might be the best thing I've heard in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwhvFLHIlBs

But wait, what's this, a Stuntman Rockman ripoff? By none other than KMD, Kaman music. They might have been the importers for the guitars, no telling if the two are really related, but the plot thickens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCK-N-STRO...386268?hash=item25c0bcc39c:g:Nu4AAOSwAuNW7aL2

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be a Party Pooper by any means and I am happy you found a mini strat you like Guildedagain, but this area of the forum is normally reserved for Guild New Guitar Days and Guild Solid Body/Chambered questions, Queries, and info. There is a section further down the Home page that is labeled "Other Guitars". Either that section or the "Miscellaneous" section would be more appropriate for a posting like this in the future. Best of luck with your mini strat.

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok, let's get somebody to move the post, Miscellaneous it should have been, my bad... Thx ;-)

Still learning.

No problem Guildedagain, We all have done it at one time or another. You are somewhat new to the site and it just takes a bit of time to get things in the right place. I'm sure a moderator will take care of it when they get to it.

TX

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I played a 3/4 scale (I think) Squier strat a couple of weeks ago and I liked it. If nothing else it's a travel guitar.

kakerlak

Reaction score
That looks fun! I'm not sure the "Stuntman" isn't just some random sticker, though. It sort of looks like the face of the headstock may have had its original logo sanded off. Tough to tell from the auction photo, but it doesn't look quite as shiny as the rest and seems like there's a patch or two where it's not quite as orange, as though it's sanded down close to the wood.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is possible of course, but there are a few out there with that same sticker, (actually a few identical to this one that sold, Goodwill somewhere had one on the net, identical but with the gigbag) including a BC Rich copy (I think that one is on eBay right now), and also the Yellow mini V I picked up some ten plus years ago.

I'd love to get my hands on a little company history, but so far eludes me.

kakerlak

Reaction score
That is possible of course, but there are a few out there with that same sticker, (actually a few identical to this one that sold, Goodwill somewhere had one on the net, identical but with the gigbag) including a BC Rich copy (I think that one is on eBay right now), and also the Yellow mini V I picked up some ten plus years ago.

I'd love to get my hands on a little company history, but so far eludes me.

Didn't realize you'd had/found others. Here's a twin: https://reverb.com/item/125848-stuntman-mini-travel-electric-guitar-1980-s-made-in-japan-with-gigbag

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Note to everyone. Posting images to be nasty like that are grounds for a vacation from the forum.
Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.