Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend me: sub-$400 acoustic guitar amp

I had a HRD for several years. Great clean tone and it does take pedals well, but any tube amp is going to color the tone of your acoustic guitar. If you are good with that the HRD is a really good amp and you may be able to find one for $400. I switched to a smaller Blues JR because I wanted something lighter for hauling around to jams and gigs.

I often play my Acoustic through a PA and run it through my multi efx pedal where I have a volume pedal, distortion, delay, etc... Electric effects work fine with an electric acoustic. Go to youtube and listen to Rob Butler Trio.

Have you thought about getting a small PA instead of an amp?

Quote Originally Posted by crank View Post
    I had a HRD for several years. Great clean tone and it does take pedals well, but any tube amp is going to color the tone of your acoustic guitar. If you are good with that the HRD is a really good amp and you may be able to find one for $400. I switched to a smaller Blues JR because I wanted something lighter for hauling around to jams and gigs.

I often play my Acoustic through a PA and run it through my multi efx pedal where I have a volume pedal, distortion, delay, etc... Electric effects work fine with an electric acoustic. Go to youtube and listen to Rob Butler Trio.

Have you thought about getting a small PA instead of an amp?
    Thanks for the recs, but if you look at my last post you'll see I found a small amp I really love (apart from some wicked hiss on the reverb). I didn't really think about a PA because the amp I found seems like it'll work really well for my electric, if I ever pick that up again.
    1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1980 Guild D46
    80s? 90s? Epiphone 12 string
    90s? Ibanez AEL-50
    2012 Guild GAD M-120

Can you turn the reverb off and use a good reverb pedal instead? Probably cheaper than other options.

Quote Originally Posted by guildman63 View Post
    Can you turn the reverb off and use a good reverb pedal instead? Probably cheaper than other options.
    I could, though I don't currently have a reverb pedal and I'm a little loath to buy one, since the amp's 'verb sounds good other than the hiss.
    1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1980 Guild D46
    80s? 90s? Epiphone 12 string
    90s? Ibanez AEL-50
    2012 Guild GAD M-120