S-100 Polara NS Bridge question

Reaction score
I feel like the sustain of this guitar is a bit short and I suspect maybe upgrading the bridge will help bring those notes to last longer. What bridge should I upgrade to? Can I use the tonepros? Which one?

I recently got this S-100 Polara NS Black _\m/ Nice build quality overall for a Korean made guitar. I hate the truss rode cover and switch tip - makes it look like a toy!

Thanks to hagmeat for convincing to get one!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
IMO the bridge Guild is using is as good a Tune-O-Matic type as anything else out there. I have TonePros TOMs in a couple guitars…I got 'em for the extra (slightly) Nashville-style adjustment range as much as anything else. They don't use the TOM retaining wire, which is a plus. That wire can lead to buzzing if you don't have the saddle screws snugged up properly. But I don't hear any tonal or sustain difference with 'em.

If your guitar is lacking in sustain I'd make sure you have the neck relief and bridge height set properly. Both should be set so that the strings aren't choking at all when you're playing up the neck. It's also possible the saddle slots aren't cut properly, which can lead to a roller bridge sound: not less sustain per se but a different volume envelope. Notes with a roller bridge, such as the Müller unit Guild used in the '70s, tend to have a rounder attack and more abrupt decay, while the actual sustain portion is normal but just not as loud.

-Dave-

Last edited:

hagmeat

Reaction score
That`s great to hear. I`m glad you like it mate. The truss rod cover is not great and don`t even get me started on the yellow switch tip. You can get a replacement toggle switch tip from here -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121812752852...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I don`t have much advice on the sustain issue because I use a small amp and a Wampler triple Wreck which gives me sustain for days. Maybe try and up the gain a bit.
Cheers
Rob