Any Uke fans?

titanNV

Reaction score
We were able to secure some ukes for our elementary school classroom for this upcoming school year. Of course, one thing led to another and I figured I'd buy a cheap-o uke as well. This one is usually not my style as none of my guitars could be considered a novelty. But for $59 minus some cash back from MF, I invested about $20 into this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...r-jerry-mahogany-concert-ukulele?src=3GOA4D1A
Sailor-Jerry-Uke-Front-Back.jpg

Never tried to play a uke before, but worst case, it would make a neat little wall hanger!

titanNV

Reaction score
Don't worry, the elementary music class is not getting the tattoo guy's edition!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Don't worry, the elementary music class is not getting the tattoo guy's edition!

Good thing. I am hard pressed to explain why the two images belong on the same instrument.

I played a uke a couple weeks ago. In the "my dog has fleas" tuning, "fleas" was dropped so that it played a nice chord open. The owner played slide on it and commented that when he took the uke into schools the "open" tuning got the kids playing quickly.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Among my Guild Orpheum my Ovation Adamas and Ovation 12 String, it's actually my cheap China made Gretsch Tenor Uke which I play most and have most fun learning new songs on. I have mine strung with a low G, so it's just like the four high strings of a guitar with capo on 5th. With fewer strings to deal with I was able to tackle a lot of songs with weird chords which would not dare on a guitar. For example, this weekend I learned Bobby Hebb's "Sunny", lots of fun.

titanNV

Reaction score
Good thing. I am hard pressed to explain why the two images belong on the same instrument.

That part is easy. Sailor Jerry was a tattoo guy from way back. These were two of his more famous tattoos I believe.

Having said that, I'm not into ink at all - but I do think this will be a fun uke to fool around with.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've had a few in the past, both a tenor and a baritone. They can be fun!

walrus

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's a video of me doing a Richie Havens song on an uke I built.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very nice, Chris! The playing, the singing, and the video!

walrus

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I was between a uke and a banjo. I bought the banjo.

amnicon

Reaction score
Guild Total
Uke was my first instrument as a kiddo. Still enjoy playing today, and still have several.

BillCheatham

Reaction score
I think in the world of tiny instruments, the mandolin is the way to go ;). People will call them ukuleles anyway