All my Guild Articles in One Place

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow, thx for writing. Great stuff, great presentation, really nice.

"Jessica" gives me night sweats... She's so stinkin beautiful ;-)

Newfoufdlands?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, thx for writing. Great stuff, great presentation, really nice.

"Jessica" gives me night sweats... She's so stinkin beautiful ;-)

Newfoufdlands?

Thanks! And yes, Newfoundlands. I'm hip-deep in dogs.

This is the Jessica to which he is referring: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2016/01/23/cozy-tales-16-ginny/

DeborahAnnWoll-Face-1200.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Does it cost to do that, and what is the process?

Thx for the pic, I could look at that... often.

I'm a network guy, so it's second nature to me.

I went to NetworkSolutions.com and registered the domain. It costs something like $30 per year and you get a discount if you do it for multiple years. I think it was $115 for five years. Lots of people use GoDaddy because it's cheaper, but I'm not a fan for various reasons.

Then the technical stuff starts. I have my own servers and know how to do it all so I don't need to really do anything else, but if you don't, then you'll need:

A host for DNS (can be same as web server or hosted by someone)
A host for your server
The means to design/build your page(s) and get them to the server
That's assuming you don't want/need things like email and the like.

In my case, the GADsGuilds page is actually just a "page" on my Wordpress blog (which I also host on gad.net), so I just set up a redirection to that page.

You can do most of this on existing services out there. For example you could make a blog on Wordpress.com without having to host your own server or Wordpress software then point a domain name to your blog there (see https://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/). This is useful if all you need to do can be covered by Wordpress.

In my case, I actually run about 10 domains (gad.net, newf.net, gadsguilds, etc.) and do more than just Blogs. For example I have a photography database running, forum software, an email server, and so-on. I'm also a Linux guy, so I control all of that myself which gives me a great deal of flexibility. If you want to go that route I recommend linode.com, but it's not for the feint of heart when it comes to Linux/networking/servers/web since all you get is an empty Linux server in the cloud.