Tonal diffs between SFI bridge pup placement and SFII placement

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Now, didn't I once read that Guild was not alone with that abomination? I have a faint memory that some Gibsons were equipped with something similar? My vague recollection is that back in the late 50s/early 60s there was something called the ticcy-tak sound or something like that. The suck switch was there to produce that (much-sought after) tone.

Random thought on another potential purpose or use for the suck switch: back in the day many common/accessible/affordable bass amps didn't have very much headroom before breaking up... whether it was intended or not, couldn't the suck switch have been one way to get more volume out of a less-than-ideal bass amp? Naturally cutting back on the low and/or low-mids would allow you to turn the amp up louder before getting distortion and mud.
Also, could have saved a lot of speakers from a low-end-induced demise, right?

Last edited:

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
That makes sense. Especially given the handling power of those early bass speakers.

But I do recall it was a sop to those who wanted the Tic-Tac sound. I suppose I'll have to do more research to find the citation. The internet is not as easily searchable as my memory. But one is growing while the other is shrinking ....