Tonal diffs between the maple and Mahogany Starfires?

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
What are the tonal diffs between the maple and Mahogany Starfires?

I am guessing the maples are brighter. Less burpy sounding?

Here is a pic just for your viewing pleasure:

At church... by lungimsam, on Flickr

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think maple is slightly brighter but that is from memory of playing a '67 "sweet spot" maple SF I and comparing it to a mahogany '67 neck SF I and a NS SF I. Different amps and not all in the same room at the same time so hardly a rigorous comparison. My impression is that I would take a maple, all other thing being equal, but the factors that drive the sound I am happy with are vintage Bisonic (as opposed to NS) and sweet spot bridge position.

mgod who has played more Starfires than I have ever seen in person said maple is brighter and he prefers it. Maybe he'll chime in and comment or just tell me I Remember Things That Did Not Happen :)

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
You remember things that didn't happen.

But: at least in the old ones, there's a definite difference. It's hard to describe though. I wouldn't characterize it as brighter - I would say rather that the maple ones have more a little more bottom, and the mahogany ones sound a little bit thinner - acoustically of course.

marcellis

Reaction score
You remember things that didn't happen.

But: at least in the old ones, there's a definite difference. It's hard to describe though. I wouldn't characterize it as brighter - I would say rather that the maple ones have more a little more bottom, and the mahogany ones sound a little bit thinner - acoustically of course.

Reminds me of a Leonard Cohen song. It's sort of the opposite of remembering something that never happened.

---------

"I can't forget;
I can't forget', I can't forget
I can't forget
But I don't remember what..."

-------

Last edited: